Would You Buy A Diesel LD Truck?

Help Support CattleToday:

Would You Buy A Diesel Light Duty Truck?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
I was reading that Ford was planning on adding a diesel engine to the F-150 in 2007 or 2008. I was wondering how many people would actually buy a diesel light duty truck? Of course it would get better mileage, but how much more towing could it get?

My dad had a 1978 chevy silverado diesel.
At that time it was a converted 350.
It got 30mpg on the highway! for real!
But, and there is always a but.
If you towed anything it voided your waranty.
If they could build a diesel that could get 25 mpg and pull as good as a smallblock V-8 gas motor.... They could sell quite a few to us
part timers that drive 60 or 80 miles to work everyday.

Hillbilly

hillbilly":2kps9pxg said:
If they could build a diesel that could get 25 mpg and pull as good as a smallblock V-8 gas motor.... They could sell quite a few to us

Hillbilly

my dodge cummins will get 21 mpg unloaded

WORANCH":1a8e2w90 said:
hillbilly":1a8e2w90 said:

Hillbilly

my dad's new dodge gets about 14 unloaded.

my 2001 4x4 Dodge 3500 dually gets 19 (most all of it interstate) and I leave my GMC with the 350 at home

Roy

Amen Hillbilly. I couldn't have said it better. I am eagerly anticipating the re-release of a light duty diesel. As a part-timer myself I don't need a heavy duty truck enough to justify the extra cost. I need the mileage more as I drive about 40,000 miles per year. About all of it to work or on the farm.

txag":3rcpof4n said:
WORANCH":3rcpof4n said:
hillbilly":3rcpof4n said:

Hillbilly

my dad's new dodge gets about 14 unloaded.

must be a gas burner ....

royB said:
my 2001 4x4 Dodge 3500 dually gets 19 (most all of it interstate) and I leave my GMC with the 350 at home

Roy

forgot to add several bits of info,

It's a Cummins diesel and I drive 100 miles a day to work, about 30,0000 miles a yr

I have a F250 HD 4x4 diesel and I get 16mpg chipped. I drive our F150 back and forth to work, 75 miles per day, because of gas mileage and it cost twice as much to fix something on my big truck and more then twice as much each time I change the oil. I think a diesel LD truck would be great though! I would probably trade in the F150 when those come out.

sidney411":262yupcf said:
I have a F250 HD 4x4 diesel and I get 16mpg chipped. I drive our F150 back and forth to work, 75 miles per day, because of gas mileage and it cost twice as much to fix something on my big truck and more then twice as much each time I change the oil. I think a diesel LD truck would be great though! I would probably trade in the F150 when those come out.

I have been waiting for this post! You are truly an honest man! I have the same truck, F250 HD 4x4 but with a V10. My V10 gets 14 around town and 15 to 16 on the open road empty. Not a lot of difference for the extra money!

Well since I don't need a LD truck I would say no. If I did one though it would depend on the extra cost of the diesel engine.

Unlike Cathy :heart: when I hook up to something I want it to move and move fast regardless of weight so the diesel is the only way to go. :lol:

frenchie":ut9h9dv1 said:
I can,t be bothered buying a light duty diesel.I just have too much use for a heavy duty. :D

I'm with Frenchie on this one. Why would you want a light duty truck anyway?

If I were ever going to buy a light duty truck, I'd want a diesel. There are some really nice options for light diesels available from Detroit, Navistar, Mercedes, and Isuzu. A few years back, an old guy whose 360 gasser died transplanted a 4BT into his D150. It was no speed demon, but I hand calculated 28 mpg on fall fuel.

Rod

El_Putzo":23ofwm1s said:
Aren't they using the 4BT engine in the Jeeps already? I may have heard wrong.

I am pretty sure they are using the Mercedes in the 2006 Grand Cherokee as an optional engine. I believe you will see the 4.5 liter V6 from Landrover as an option for the F150. ;-)

I know some people who have transplanted Cummins 4BTs into Jeeps, but they aren't factory jobbies. The 4BT has been out of production for quite a few years now, I believe.

The Jeep uses a little VM Motori 2.8L diesel 4 cylinder. I'm not sure about the Cherokee.

MY bad. The diesel in the Cherokee will probably not be available in the US until 2007. It is available abroad.

frenchie":2v9kyn90 said:
I can,t be bothered buying a light duty diesel.I just have too much use for a heavy duty. :D
I'm with you Frenchie.A diesel IMHO is for one thing, Pulling a load. To me it would be a novelty in a light truck or SUV.I think the EPA will have such restraints on light duty rigs, on account of GVWR's (they have enough on heavy duty's) that it would be a joke.

Latest posts