would u try breeding a wagyu/angus?

Help Support CattleToday:

do u think it's a good idea 2 breed angus/wagyu?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

emily_22

Reaction score
I own a small property, (17 acres small) & I want good quality tender beef for the family. My father wants to breed angus/wagyu. So I am thinking of buying some angus females and AI them with a well known Wagyu bull (FUCATSURU)
Do you think that I will end up with anything close to what i want?
It would be greatly appreciated if you could share some stories if you have any first hand experiance with them.

Thankyou,

The wagyus around here are on feed for 3-5 hundred days albeit not a huge ration but that is still forever. Yes you will get tender as well as a marbled animal pending you feed the beast right. Calving ease will be another benefit. go for it but don't rush them.

Beef...,
Have you had the beef? What do you like about it? Is it worth the costs involved? I have never had it but want to. Have heard many good comments about Kobe beef.

Contact Briggs Genetics, they have had a sucessful programmeusing Wagyu on Tuli cows,Tuli are hardy and low maintenance with a beef quality equal to Angus.There would be a higher heterosis with the Tuli and they are the most heat resistant commercial breed available. Where are you in Australia? I am assuming high summer temperatures.

The first 4 Wagyu bulls imported to America were bred to angus cows in a line breeding rotation to produce the first reg.
15/16 and 31/32 American Wagyu.

That is the only way to go if you want to raise Wagyu cross calves. At Washington State Univ, Jerry Reeves who is promoting Wagyu/Angus crosses has standing order with Japan on sides of beef. Dr Reeves is contracting with commerical cattle operations in Montana to breed Angus heifers to Wagyu bulls for calving ease. He is paying $.10 over market price for the calves. With the Wagyu/Angus cross he is able to sell fat beef at 18 months and meet the grading standards, which are very high. I have been AI'ing some my cattle to Wagyu bulls with semen that I bought from Dr Reeves. I've never had a better steak, my stepfather who raised a lot of cattle didn't believe me until he ate some.

Bobg

I was watching a program on the Food Channel tonight about steak and they were selling hamburgers for $50 and steaks for $100 in New York.

Bobg

well I haven't eaten wagyu meat because everyone is after it and it is so darn expencive but my dad has and he says it is to die for! but I'm just going to breed them for personal use.

I wonder where they're storing all that beef since it can't be shipped in to Japan and hasn;t for a long while

dun

dun":2q5xuyqq said:
I wonder where they're storing all that beef since it can't be shipped in to Japan and hasn;t for a long while

dun

Dr Reeves' freezer i would imagine. :lol:

dun":ibj5bw8l said:

dun

I was going to ask Jerry Reeves that the other day in class, but forgot too. I imagine that the domestic market has opened up enough that they can sell some here. The last I heard he couldn't supply enough to meet the demand and that was pooling a bunch of growers calves together.

Bobg