Would love to rant...

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith

Reaction score
but wisdom recommends otherwise.

So the plain facts. A few minutes ago I got a phone call from a lawyer on behalf of the farm owners who own the farm where I share-milk. They plan to terminate my contract at the end of this season.

The lawyer didn't want to talk to me, instead to someone speaking on behalf of me. I don't have a lawyer so I called a farm consultant that I've used for independent advice at a point when i felt I could no longer work with the farm owners and their consultant.

So... I'm going to be updating my cv (resume) and looking for a new farm to take my cows to from June 1 next year.
Normally I keep an eye on the job market from early December if I'm moving on. I've got some good people to speak on my behalf/act as referees though, so hopefully I'll find something before too long.

I am allowed to fight the proposed termination, but there's no point in doing so - moving on is clearly the best option.

It seems you've been in a bad position and are now free to move to a better one. Sure it's gonna be a hassel and a mess,but it'll be better. Hang in there.

regolith":3h0nk0n2 said:
but wisdom recommends otherwise.

So the plain facts. A few minutes ago I got a phone call from a lawyer on behalf of the farm owners who own the farm where I share-milk. They plan to terminate my contract at the end of this season.

The lawyer didn't want to talk to me, instead to someone speaking on behalf of me. I don't have a lawyer so I called a farm consultant that I've used for independent advice at a point when i felt I could no longer work with the farm owners and their consultant.

So... I'm going to be updating my cv (resume) and looking for a new farm to take my cows to from June 1 next year.
Normally I keep an eye on the job market from early December if I'm moving on. I've got some good people to speak on my behalf/act as referees though, so hopefully I'll find something before too long.

I am allowed to fight the proposed termination, but there's no point in doing so - moving on is clearly the best option.
Not that it is any of my bussiness but why? Moving on may be the best option but may not solve the real problem. Could it just pop up again somewhere else?

I did not know of share milking , how does it work , I would guess by your statement you own the cows and the landlord owns the land and facilities, then they share a certain percentage of the profits?

i dont really know about share milking.but i think that means he milks 1 herd in the am.an 1 herd in the pm.an he is a milker thats allowed to have cows in the bosses herd.

Share milking can be as varied as the creativety of the participants allows. The next door dairy has had 4 different share milkers in the past 5-6 years. None of them worked out well. The dairy behind us is doing it and he is renting the facilitys and owns the cows. Not working for him either.

Not that it is any of my bussiness but why? Moving on may be the best option but may not solve the real problem. Could it just pop up again somewhere else?

novatech; I've been in this business since '93 and this is my second share-milking position, and the third I've been directly involved with (was employed by a 50/50 sharemilker for 3 years). I've never encountered problems like this before.
The farm owners have.

I think this may do my reputation a great deal of harm if not managed carefully, but the problems are not likely to repeat.

There's a standard contract/assumption on what 50/50 sharemilking means but I need to head off now, can explain later or someone might dig up an old explanation of mine if they feel like it.
Sorry bb338, I've been around for a while now, thought not too many would be shocked if I posted a photo. Check the link in the NZbush thread.

Thanks Peg, it is an oppportunity, hopefully to access an easier farm.
Just the thought of all the time, energy and organisation that goes into a farm and herd move though... I did this all 6 - 9 months ago.

Sharemilking - I couldn't really put it better than you did cowboy43. I own the cows and have 100% of the costs directly associated with the cattle, and the income from calf and cull cow sales. The farm owner provides the land and maintains the infrastructure.
As a 50/50 sharemilker, the milk income is split 50/50 between the sharemilker and farm owners. The sharemilker does the physical day to day management of the property.
Farm owners who aren't ready to allow the sharemilker to manage the cows and farm shouldn't contract with a sharemilker.
Oops. I didn't say that last bit :roll: :roll: