Would love an opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
I would love an opinion on a steer we have been trying to get looked at for 3 years. Can't even get animal control out.
What's your opinion on his condition and what would you do if you saw this almost daily and couldn't get anyone to come look at him.
This is truly a serious question and I don't want it to back fire on all of us. I know how animal rights people are and I really ( as well as many others) want this guy to stop suffering. But this doesn't reflect on Ranchers in general and thats what it would get turned into.
I can't post the pics here so I have temperarily (sp?) put it on the web. I will be pulling them in a few days.
http://www.doublerranchca.com/Family Pics.htm
Someone already said to me to go to the media but once again I don't want to give ammunition to the animal right groups that want us all shut down.
Thanks in advance.
Double R

It's a breed and there isn't anything wrong with them. I expected to see emaciated cattle.

Maybe this link will work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankole-Watusi_%28cattle%29

The cattle in the pictures that you posted look good. The skin thing is very treatable. It is common.

Wish I had his grass.....

bugil7ja4.gif

chippie":3lmk4deb said:
It's a breed and there isn't anything wrong with them. I expected to see emaciated cattle.

Maybe this link will work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankole-Watusi_%28cattle%29

The cattle in the pictures that you posted look good. The skin thing is very treatable. It is common.

Wish I had his grass.....

bugil7ja4.gif

Yep,

Look like standard watusis to me. The bull seems to be getting along good. If he were suffering he would have starved to death by now. I do wish someone would clip his horns but I dont think that has anything to do with his neck. There is a bull with a crooked neck on that wikipedia page.

Thank you all for your opinion. I understand what kind of cattle they are. My concern is that he can't even upright his head. He is in obvious discomfort when you see him.
Keep it coming I really appreciate the help.
Double R

Double R Ranch":o77xxirm said:
Thank you all for your opinion. I understand what kind of cattle they are. My concern is that he can't even upright his head. He is in obvious discomfort when you see him.
Keep it coming I really appreciate the help.
Double R

Even if they lop off his horns he is still going to hold his head the same way. Cattle are alot tougher than people give them credit for. What would kill alot of us people Ive seen cattle take and act like nothing happen ive seen em trying to kick flies off their stomach and kick them selves so hard it would have put a man in the hospital and they dont even flinch.

This is my opinion and its worth just what you pay for it but as I see it this is the trait of the breed. The owner has done nothing but raise an animal that has this trait so I can't see where he is doing anything wrong. Personally, I wouldn't own one if you gave me one but I don't think the animal is suffering cause they look awefully fat compared to others I've seen.

I have absolutely no experience with the breed, but -- I do know that pain takes energy. If he is in pain to the extent that an animal welfare group needs to be involved, you're going to see a drop in body condition as compared to his herdmates. Use that as your guide to decide if/when to make phone calls.

Latest posts