Would like opinions on these 2 Simmental Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

yellowdog5

Reaction score
I was intrigued by two bulls pictured in the latest Simtalk: SS Ebonys Grandmaster, and RC Club King. Has anyone had any calves? What kind of offspring do these bulls produce? I am looking for new genetics for our small herd of show quality SimAngus cattle. We mostly sell steers and hefers to 4H members, and once in a while a good bred cow. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and if you have other bulls to suggest, we would welcome that too. Thanks.

I crossed one of my black angus cows with club king and that is a cross that I am going to do a bunch of next year if possible. This heifer calf is the longest and fastest growing calf I have raised in a long time I can not say how impressed I am. :D

I'm considering using a simm bull myself, but haven't heard of club king. I'll have to check him out. My short list so far includes Nichols Manifest, ACC1 Hustler, Grandmaster, and Fatt butt. I have only managed to find Grandmaster and Manifest calves on the ground locally and have been more impressed with the manifest calves. I'm anxious to see more of Hustler and Fatt Butt.

dyates":1wpi8uwo said:
I'm considering using a simm bull myself, but haven't heard of club king. I'll have to check him out. My short list so far includes Nichols Manifest, ACC1 Hustler, Grandmaster, and Fatt butt. I have only managed to find Grandmaster and Manifest calves on the ground locally and have been more impressed with the manifest calves. I'm anxious to see more of Hustler and Fatt Butt.
Hope to give you some idea on Fat Butt next spring. Going to give him a ty on a few 3/4 angus cows.

I have several Simmi's bred to Fat Butt, and gonna breed 5 more first of March to him. Also have one bred to Manifest. Also using Built Right, Dream On, and looking into Grandmaster...

Just going by RC's numbers his growth looks good, MM is terrible, docility score is a little low for my liking and his carcass merits are all below average. I wonder what his YFS and MFS was/is.

I have had a few calves from Ebony's GrandMaster and they were all culled due to low growth, terrible MM, also docility was an issue and really anything out of Black Joker will be suspect for a fool.

The best thing to do, I think, is to use the planned mating feature in ASA and choose bulls that will best compliment the cattle you plan to breed. We loan show calves to 4H members and give them the pick because all these heifers regardless of their show status are coming home one day to join the production herd, so we breed them accordingly.

I wish I knew their registration numbers and I could better tell you what I would breed them to.

I have some calves also by Nichols Manifest. He shows some good growth potential on paper, but his growth is coming from his MGS and not his Sire and heritability for growth comes from the Sires side. Basically, he is not going to readily transfer that growth potential to his calves, his MM is below average and he is but another of the many bulls going back to Legacy 151.

Really the best thing to do is choose bulls with high Accuracy %'s in your chosen epd's you feel are most important.

In 2012, we used the following bulls:
2414537 S/A
2566964 3/4 SA
2545800 PBAN
2545802 PBAN
2294262 PBSM
2540315 3/4 SA
2471391 3/4 SA
2483888 S/A
2456766 PBRA
2549743 3/4 SA

and a few others.

yellowdog5":w8mpien7 said:
I was intrigued by two bulls pictured in the latest Simtalk: SS Ebonys Grandmaster, and RC Club King. Has anyone had any calves? What kind of offspring do these bulls produce? I am looking for new genetics for our small herd of show quality SimAngus cattle. We mostly sell steers and hefers to 4H members, and once in a while a good bred cow. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and if you have other bulls to suggest, we would welcome that too. Thanks.

I'm looking for something that will make good, efficient mama cows. I'm more interested in structure; feet and legs to be more exact. I'm not as concerned about milk or growth as much as soundness.
Also has to be black for my market. I'm not anti-angus, just don't like the ugly feet and legs on 95% of what I see on the market, nor the local trend to produce cows that milk like holsteins. There are some angus bulls on the market that I like, but they look a lot like black simmental and have numbers more like a simmental, so I ask myself, "Why not just go ahead and use a simmental?"

Most of the cows he would be used on are sired by a polled hereford, btw. He is a meatwagon and so are his calves.

Dragging out an older thread, but we have calves out of Grandmaster, Fat Butt and Club King. Our Grandmaster is a heifer calf and is flat out awesome! If I could figure out how to post pics here, I would. Here is a link to my facebook which has a pic of the Grandmaster (https://www.facebook.com/FireSweepSimmental). Our Fat Butt is still a little young, but I am not impressed as of yet. She is thick, but no depth or rib. Our Club King is a January yearling, bred to Grandmaster, and we are keeping her and consigning her 3 year old Preferred Beef mother to our State Sale in the fall (we are a small herd, so when one gets kept another has to go). With her being a Hummer (Club King is by Hummer), she should milk without any problems and she sure grew! I saw a heck of a bull, named King Pin (I think Cattle Visions carries him now) by Club King, and he was the high seller in the Owens Bros Diamond and Spurs sale this year. A real meat wagon.
All of the above mentioned matings came unassisted and were no more than 80 pounds.

Latest posts