worth getting these dogs? Free....

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with these dogs, I do have children and Guinea fowls. My youngest child is 9.

Approximately 4 month old female catahoula and 1 yr old male red and white border collie.

That border collie is gonna give those birds heck until you break it from chasing them . Mine is standing at the chicken pen in the rain right now. She has a 1 ft path trampled around the pen where she runs back and forth . Her new shock collar came in this morning so when it stops flooding I'm gonna fix her up.

JSCATTLE":2vr71q90 said:
That border collie is gonna give those birds heck until you break it from chasing them . Mine is standing at the chicken pen in the rain right now. She has a 1 ft path trampled around the pen where she runs back and forth . Her new shock collar came in this morning so when it stops flooding I'm gonna fix her up.
I can't have a guinea killer around the house.

I have had 2 different dogs that did not mind chickens but would kill a guinea. I always thought it might have something to do with the sound that they make.

BRYANT":mq09lmgq said:
I have had 2 different dogs that did not mind chickens but would kill a guinea. I always thought it might have something to do with the sound that they make.
My mutt that grew up in a back yard leaves them alone, but my last heeler on the other hand, It took a couple chasing and yelling scenes for her to understand not to mess with the guineas. Unfortunately she got hit by a bus 2 weeks ago.

Border Collies are pretty easy to break of bad habits. Of course it is better to break them of it before it becomes a habit. My BC will walk through a flock of chickens without a sideways glance.

We had a blond border collie for a long time (17 years) and he wouldn't kill the chickens! Liked to run through them some times and watch them scatter but never hurt them

And he would follow us kids around everywhere never getting more then a few feet away. And if me dad was around he would tolerate strangers but if it was just us kids around nobody was allowed to come on the property. I'm pretty sure it's not true but when I was younger we were lead to believe that if we didn't come when my parents called he would bite us :lol:

Latest posts