Worst Tractor ?

Help Support CattleToday:

larryshoat

Reaction score
Talldog had a good thread with the best tractor, what about the worst. In 1974 Dad bought a brand new 1070 Case. It ran 450 hrs and the powershift went out under warranty, it ran to 1000 hrs and went out again this time we paid, went out at 1500 hrs and they winched it on the truck and that was it's final ride for us.

Larry

I'm trying to sell it as collectible. MF 130. No, I don't mean MF 135.
Dad bought this beauty cheap in 1967 or thereabout. Made in France. The gauges are in English, French and German.
Described by someone on yesterdays tractors.com as Masseys worst idea. It has a 4 cyl Perkins diesel which was frequently installed in boats. (As an anchor) The oilpan weighs about 150 lbs, good for ballast. The brakes are exquisite calipers which squeeze an internal disc, and the pads last about an hour. Most of the time I have driven the beast, I did it without brakes. Fortunately, the 8 speed tranny shifts pretty well so you can use that on hills. It smokes when it runs, and has since the first day we owned it.
It has 30 horses, maybe 35 on a good day. It has pulled a lot of wagons, and as a high school kid I mowed hundreds of acres of pasture with a 6 foot Massey dyna balance sickle bar.
Does being a crappy tractor spoil my chances of selling this for big bucks as a collectible?

john250 said:
I'm trying to sell it as collectible. MF 130. No, I don't mean MF 135.
Dad bought this beauty cheap in 1967 or thereabout. Made in France. The gauges are in English, French and German.
Described by someone on yesterdays tractors.com as Masseys worst idea. It has a 4 cyl Perkins diesel which was frequently installed in boats. (As an anchor) The oilpan weighs about 150 lbs, good for ballast. The brakes are exquisite calipers which squeeze an internal disc, and the pads last about an hour. Most of the time I have driven the beast, I did it without brakes. Fortunately, the 8 speed tranny shifts pretty well so you can use that on hills. It smokes when it runs, and has since the first day we owned it.
It has 30 horses, maybe 35 on a good day. It has pulled a lot of wagons, and as a high school kid I mowed hundreds of acres of pasture with a 6 foot Massey dyna balance sickle bar.
Does being a crappy tractor spoil my chances of selling this for big bucks as a collectible?[/quote]

Probably not, probably make it all the more valuble, sell it to some city guy, the more worthless something is the better they like it.

Larry

Grey market Ford 3000 diesel. Always a real SOB pig to start. The one time it started right up it only went 20 feet and the crankshaft broke.

:lol: :lol: The 70 and 90 series Case tractors are known in the business as "Job Security". Powershift was weak, especially on the early models. They worked ok if you kept the RPMs down between shifts, say under 1500 RPM. We've got a 10,000 hour 2470 outside that still has a good powershift, but its always been babied.

I don't necessarily know if this qualifies or not, as its not the _worst_ tractor ever, but certainly the most overrated: 4020 JD. We've had one for better than 30 years, and while it'll do most jobs, it never does them as well as some very much under-rated (and much cheaper) tractors will. Like the 70 series Case for example. :lol:

JD 2240

Wife's family likes JD tractors, so when we got married I bought her a gorgeous little 2240 with about 1500 hrs and a front end loader. Biggest pile of junk I ever had. Leaked hydraulic fluid from the day I bought it til the day I sold it, just never in the same spot. Hydraulics were fast, but jerky and unpredictable. Hard to shift, plus the transmission sucked for loader work. She laid claim to my old 7600 Ford so I sold the JD and bought a 7610 Ford with the money, one of my best decisions ever.

DiamondSCattleCo":3i6b1q3y said:
I don't necessarily know if this qualifies or not, as its not the _worst_ tractor ever, but certainly the most overrated: 4020 JD. We've had one for better than 30 years, and while it'll do most jobs, it never does them as well as some very much under-rated (and much cheaper) tractors will. Like the 70 series Case for example. :lol:

I'm glad to hear someone else say that. Everybody around here thinks the sun rises and sets in those old 4020s, they've never impressed me for nothing. The only JD that I've ever driven that I really liked was an old 4230 with the powershift.

I'll vote for the Belarus Tractors that were brought over in the mid 90's. Shift pattern was an H but on it side. Only redeeming feature I could see was down pressure on the three point. Great for running a post hole digger and that's about it.

cfpinz":12v7xbqa said:
DiamondSCattleCo":12v7xbqa said:

I'm glad to hear someone else say that. Everybody around here thinks the sun rises and sets in those old 4020s, they've never impressed me for nothing. The only JD that I've ever driven that I really liked was an old 4230 with the powershift.
You can't say anything about a 4020 here without getting pistol whipped. :nod:

brandonm_13":163wc7qw said:
cfpinz":163wc7qw said:

So it wouldn't be pc if I called them overrated lawn ornaments? To me, those old JDs are about like most black angus, more hype and propaganda than ass to back it up.

This should get interesting.

cfpinz":3oys0y98 said:
brandonm_13":3oys0y98 said:
cfpinz":3oys0y98 said:

So it wouldn't be pc if I called them overrated lawn ornaments? To me, those old JDs are about like most black angus, more hype and propaganda than ass to back it up.

This should get interesting.
I was looking in either a tractor house catalog or US farmer a while back and side by side there was a 1968 4020 and a 2003 NH TB 100. Both are 95 hp. The NH is 35 years newer(and had less than 1000 hours), and there was only 3,000 dollars difference between them.

brandonm_13":3i46mmnt said:
I was looking in either a tractor house catalog or US farmer a while back and side by side there was a 1968 4020 and a 2003 NH TB 100. Both are 95 hp. The NH is 35 years newer(and had less than 1000 hours), and there was only 3,000 dollars difference between them.

This is really what I'm getting at. You can buy an 1135 Massey or 1105 Massey for anywhere between $4000 and $6000 Cdn. These are a superior tractor to the 4020 in ALL WAYS, yet I see fools paying $10,000 or more for a 4020. I just gone done paying $2500 for a 970 Case, again a tractor that is superior to the 4020 JD in all ways. I own a 930 Case, a tractor who has had a HARD life in comparison to my 4020, and its in better condition, mechanical wise, than my 4020, despite having similar hours on both.

Even my father succumbed to the idiocy. I had a chance to trade our 4020 off on a Massey FWA with 806 Leon FEL around 10 years ago. I was told $6000 difference. Dad balked and I lost the deal. I know the guy who bought the Massey. He's used it every single day feeding cows for the last 10 years, and hasn't put a part into it. :(

Rod

I agree with you Rod.
The 4020 is probably the most overated tractor every built. In its day it was a good unit, but JD with their superb marketing as keep it going past its day.

Hey Rod, if that 4020 you got is a good one I'll send you a 930 Case on an even trade.

Larry

larryshoat":28szx3jv said:
Hey Rod, if that 4020 you got is a good one I'll send you a 930 Case on an even trade.

:lol: :lol: Thats ok. Eventually my father will retire, then I'll find some sucker to pay me 10 grand for it and I'll buy 5 930s :lol: :lol:

Rod

I thought the Ford 3000 diesel was a three cylinder Perkins. Darn fine motor in my books. I've got a 3000 SOS and it has been running just fine for the last 30 years. I need to go through the SOS again but I think the only control units I'll have to go through is 5th and 6th. Now the hydraulics could stand a little improvement but that's a different story. :D

Latest posts