Worst farmer of the year award goes to..

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
Me.
I have a 30+ acre hayfield on one of our places that lies at the back edge of one of the farms in a bottom. Apparently some idiot (me) forgot to close the gate to this field in June whenever he was hauling out the bales.. The cattle apparently realized my mistake for the last couple months. As you can imagine, I thought my cows were sure keeping their condition well this summer whenever I've checked them :bang: ..
I went ahead and cut it, but will probably get about 1/3 as many bales as I was hoping for this second cut.
Just thought I'd share. Maybe I'll make someone feel less stupid.

No people died. No cattle died. So no biggie. I have made more expensive mistakes.

Lazy M":2fbbbel3 said:
Me.
I have a 30+ acre hayfield on one of our places that lies at the back edge of one of the farms in a bottom. Apparently some idiot (me) forgot to close the gate to this field in June whenever he was hauling out the bales.. The cattle apparently realized my mistake for the last couple months. As you can imagine, I thought my cows were sure keeping their condition well this summer whenever I've checked them :bang: ..
I went ahead and cut it, but will probably get about 1/3 as many bales as I was hoping for this second cut.

They say people live up (or down) to their names, Lazy M... ;-) Maybe do like everyone else seems to do on here and change your handle to something more aspirational? :D
Glad they didn't get "out" out!

Seems like you have smart cows.. Always be in the right pasture when the human comes to check on you!.. then sneak back for the good eats!

It's not like it all went to waste as your cows made good use of the opportunity to feed themselves.
They should get a medal, maybe most self sufficient herd in the county, but "no soup (award) for you."

Dang, I was expecting to read about something horrible!! If that's the worst thing that happens consider yourself lucky!!

ALACOWMAN":39vzgq7q said:
And they'll go into winter in good shape.....concider it a trade off...
Truth that is...

Sounds like your cows are in better shape than you would normally expect. Their pasture is probably in better shape also. This isn't a coincident, the added acreage you didn't know you were utilizing changed your stocking rate. The outcome is noticeable. Learn from it.

Cows are considerably more cost effective at harvesting a crop of grass and spreading fertilizer than any crew of diesel sucking machines.

If that's all it takes to be the worst farmer of the year there are a lot of us that must be in a category all by ourselves. Like, most terrible farmer of all time!

Lazy M":122wl08n said:
Me.

It was their food anyway...Who are you to deny them of delicious green grasses ? That sucks but alot more worse things could have happened.

Latest posts