Worst case scenario

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
Our matriarch cow, going on 11, was looking really wide and uncomfortable last night. She usually bags up so big and tight you think it will bust so I thought she still had a few days before she calved. And her previous calf was Nov. 2012 so she was early. This morning she was eating hay but on the way home from work I got a text, dead calf. Got home and the dead calf was the least of it, she had prolapsed. We talked about just putting her down but she was our first cow and she's been a good producer and trouble free her whole life so we called the vet out. He put the prolapse back and stitched her up. Oxy-whatever to contract the uterus and a long acting antibiotic. Got to looking at the calf, it had to have come butt first. The hind legs were tucked under it and all still enclosed in the sac. It's a wonder she was able to deliver it at all and that's why she prolapsed. She hadn't been haltered in years, but once I got it around her neck she yielded to it and we worked on her in the pasture with just the halter and the truck headlights.

Then my sister in law came down to commiserate but hadn't been here long when she got a text her dog had just died. Just not a good night at all.

:frowns:

Sorry about the calf and your SIL's dog MO . Some days , well, they just suck ! :(

I hope your Matriarch heals quickly and pulls through .

Well, at least you didnt lose the cow. Maybe you can sell her and get a good price for her.

Hope your cow is ok. Our 13 year old cow died and due to calf, doc said I had four minutes to cut her open, find the calf and get it out to save it.... too late beautiful bull calf died. I now know where to cut, praying I NEVER have to do that again!!!
Blessings
Valerie