Worms

Help Support CattleToday:

Double A Ranch

Reaction score
Yes my husband wanted me to ask what most fo you cattle raisers used to kill worms for your cows. He uses something purpel that he squirts on there backs and wonders what is better. Thanks.

I shake the grain bucket and when my bull's head is buried, I use the Ivomec Eprinex pour-on. I also put a heaping teaspoon of food grade diatemacous earth (DE) in his grain. While on this subject, should cattle have rotational wormers like horses? And if so, what do you rotate with?

kjerckie said:
I also put a heaping teaspoon of food grade diatemacous earth (DE) in his grain. quote]
We have also used the food grade DE for cattle. It may have gotten some of the worms but not all of them.
I know people that has used it for hogs and seemed to work better with them than with cattle.

Karen --- I've heard and read that switching wormers was advisable, similar to switching fly tags. In my area people sometimes give IvomecPlus followed by Valbazen 6 months later. Which one they use depends on when the cattle are bred, in view of the potential problems for real light bred cows if Valbazen is used. I'm a lot handier with a needle than with a drench gun, so I find that most of the time I just use IvomecPlus

We have used the Cydectin pour (purple) for the last two years. Plan to use an Ivermectin pour this year. My primary reason to switch is because of the price difference. The Cydectin has been costing $3.30/hd. The Ivermectin is now running $1.50 to $1.60/hd.

I like the pours because they're quick and easy to use compared to the injectables. We can fill a chute up and get to every cow's back. Can't always get to their neck for a BQA location.

I don't like to stick my cattle any more than I have to. Wether I am giving vaccinations or not, the least # of times I have to give a shot the better for me. I use Eprinex pour-on. It will not wash off in the rain like Ivomec.

We use Ivermectin,it s the cheapest and quickest that works. We are all about saving money on the front end. We are not frugal Cattlemen were just plain tight. Every penny saved is a dollar in my pocket at the salebarn.

we also use Ivomec Plus injectable on our cows & calves. the bulls usually get pour-on......the less we have to handle them the better (plus, most of them have necks too big to hold in a headgate & it's heck to try to give neck injections w/o the head restrained)

Thanks to all for your responses. And please keep them coming in
This forum is the greatest thing we have found about cattle

Yes, and thank you for the rotation ideas. I choose the pour-on because I'm not confident with a needle. I'm letting Vet do the dirty work. Maybe the spring shot when Vet's out doing yearly boosters, can be the injectable one?

kjerckie":2579jkq6 said:
Yes, and thank you for the rotation ideas. I choose the pour-on because I'm not confident with a needle. I'm letting Vet do the dirty work. Maybe the spring shot when Vet's out doing yearly boosters, can be the injectable one?

That's the way we do it. The vet is running the chute and the needles and I'm working the gatherinng pen, alleyways and sweep.

Then in the fall we use an oral drench type. Works well with the vet dunning the drench, needle and chute while I work the.....................

dun

I rotate between Safeguard pellets and Ivomec pour-on. I intend to switch brands of pour-on next year. Actually I use the generic brand of pouron ivermectin.

Welcome Double A!! What do you guys raise? As for you question the "purple stuff" is cydectin and it is one of the best. We use that and Dectomex.

We use Ivomec Plus. What time of year do you all worm if only once per year? We were worming every 6 mts but the vet said that once a year would be sufficent. He said eiter in the fall or spring would be fine, I just want to see what ya'll think. I found a good deal on Ivomec plus at xsag.com $292.20 for 1000 mL, free shipping. Also in the southern livestock standard I saw an ad for 500 mL for $175, free delivery. Looked to be one of those trucks that comes to your ranch.

I have never paid the vet to do any vacinations except bangs. It is really easy to do vacinations, my grandpa showed me how and I have been doing it every since. Once you get the hang of it, it is really simple. Cattle feel pain but they don't hang on to pain like humans do. If you have your technique down and use a good sharp needle that is the right guage and lenght then there is little resistance form them. They are more interested in getting out of the squeese and to the feed trough then worrying about the vaccinations. We have a system set up, my husband runs the squeese and I run the shots. My brother in law gets the cattle in the chute. We have a feed trough set up and when we get done the cattle get a treat. I think it helps them keep their mind on the prize. We get it all done quickly and a lot cheeper then having the vet out.

Thank you Texas Show Mom for the welcome. :D
What do you raise? We raise mostly F1 tigers
Sidney 411 thanks for your information to. You sound like you are very active helping the guys. :D (i thought sidney was a "guy" until I got to the part about the husband) :oops: What I intend to start doing more of.
Thanks to all!!!!!!

Latest posts