Worming

Help Support CattleToday:

Generally, cattle are wormed twice a year. Once in the spring, following calving, and again in the fall when calves are weaned. Most cattlemen that I know will also vaccinate, brand, castrate, dehorn, tag and cull while they have the cattle penned. I live in north east Texas. We usually work the cattle in late February or early March and again in late October/ early November. Hope that answers your question.

katmanjeff":3v5mqnfc said:
When's the generally accepted time to worm the herd in N. Texas

i think you mean "de-worm"?

agree w/hawk. twice a year (in the spring & fall) is generally sufficient.

If you have some fall calves, can they be dewormed in the spring, when they are around 3-4 months old? Is there a minimum age you would stay away from deworming? I was speaking specifically about the pour on method. Does anyone have any comments about the block dewormers, do they actually work as well as advertised?

Yes they can de-wormed in the spring.
The problem with all of the various blocks is that it's hard to insure they all get enough of what they're supposed to. Minerals, wormers, larvacides, etc., it's the same problem. About the only thing that works as a block is salt.

dun

Anonymous":2v6kx6g0 said:
If you have some fall calves, can they be dewormed in the spring, when they are around 3-4 months old? Is there a minimum age you would stay away from deworming? I was speaking specifically about the pour on method. Does anyone have any comments about the block dewormers, do they actually work as well as advertised?

My place south of Wichita Falls technically is S/E of Archer City and S of Windthorst. 5 m W/281.
A guy grass leases it from me,for $4.75 ea. I do the hunting. He just has grazing and water rights, and takes care of the fencing etc. . .

Latest posts