Worming

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
I wormed my calf today. When should I worm her again?
She has a little belly. Is it worms or too much grass. I give her very little grain. She is a Holstein. Not a twin. A real Holstein.

I worm calves at first vacinations (4-5 months) & then again when they are weaned (7+ months) along with another set of vacinations.

Farminlund":2puraea6 said:
I worm calves at first vacinations (4-5 months) & then again when they are weaned (7+ months) along with another set of vacinations.
I cannot buy rabies vacine. Should I have the Vet come out. I was going to use Triangle. Can you tell me what the best vacine program is? Should I call the Vet because of my Rabies vaccine situation?

lancemart":10ant9gf said:
She has a little belly. Is it worms or too much grass. I give her very little grain. She is a Holstein. Not a twin. A real Holstein.

We generally worm twice a year. The pot belly is probably a 'hay belly' - too much forage and not enough grain. I'm not sure what 'real Holstein' and being a twin have to do with each other, though. :? Why would you want to vaccinate your calf for rabies? .

lancemart if rabies are a concern in your area then by all means call to vet. I'd feed more grain and evaluate again in
couple of months. By the real holstein not a twin you mean
she's not a freemartin and will have calves for you correct?

msscamp":1szstbo7 said:
lancemart":1szstbo7 said:

We generally worm twice a year. The pot belly is probably a 'hay belly' - too much forage and not enough grain. I'm not sure what 'real Holstein' and being a twin have to do with each other, though. :? Why would you want to vaccinate your calf for rabies? .
I don't have to vaccinate for rabies? I thought that was done once a year?
I have not been feeding my cattle grain since I put them on pasture. Should I be supplementing their diet with grain. I have them on a High Mag mineral. How much grain should I be giving the calf?

dj":c09khe6q said:
lancemart if rabies are a concern in your area then by all means call to vet. I'd feed more grain and evaluate again in
couple of months. By the real holstein not a twin you mean
she's not a freemartin and will have calves for you correct?

Yes she is not a freemartin.

lancemart":3cm4q8iz said:
Farminlund":3cm4q8iz said:
I cannot buy rabies vacine. Should I have the Vet come out. I was going to use Triangle. Can you tell me what the best vacine program is? Should I call the Vet because of my Rabies vaccine situation?

I don't vaccinate for rabies. First vacinations are for blackleg (7-way) & respirtory viruses using killed bugs (safe for nursing cows, ie ResProMune 6 I-B-P + BRSV). Second vaccinations are single dose 7-way blackleg (Alpha 7) & Bovi-Shield Gold FP5 + L5 (MLV).

At least a couple #'s a day on the grain to start.

lancemart":276gn9q6 said:
msscamp":276gn9q6 said:
lancemart":276gn9q6 said:

I don't have to vaccinate for rabies? I thought that was done once a year?
I have not been feeding my cattle grain since I put them on pasture. Should I be supplementing their diet with grain. I have them on a High Mag mineral. How much grain should I be giving the calf?

To the best of my knowledge, rabies is not a required vaccination. Perhaps you're thinking of Bangs (Brucellosis), which is required in quite a few states (but I don't know if your state is one of them)? Individuals cannot buy the Bangs vaccine - it has to be administered by the vet due to the registration, Bangs tag, etc, that is required by the state.

You did not specify whether your cows are beef or dairy so I will qualify my answer to state that mature beef cattle on grass do not need grain, however, calves (especially bottle calves) do require a fair amount of grain to replace the nutrients lost because they are not nursing and to help them grow properly and better transition into mature cattle. I would start with 1-2% of your calf's total body weight and work up to maybe 3-4 pounds per day, but my experience is with beef cattle. Anyone with Holstein experience, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

PS I didn't think about the freemartin thing - the 'real Holstein' vs twin makes much more sense now. Sorry. :oops: :lol: :lol:

Lancemart - if your area is like here - rabies is a concern - and yes, you need a vet to vaccinate each year. Vets also have to Calfhood Vaccinate (Brucellosis vaccine). We worm late spring & fall.
There are two types of vaccines - Killed & Modified Live (MLV).
Killed is the safest, most expensive & least protection. May last a few months worth of protection. MUST have a booster within about 4 weeks when giving the first time - yearly thereafter.
MLV is not safe for PREGNANT cows or CALVES NURSING PREGNANT COWS. With that said, it is the cheapest & best protection - may give life time protection, but still recommended yearly boosters.
We use MLV. We vaccinate cows PRIOR to breeding in the spring with BoviShield 5L5 (IBR, PI3, BRSV, BVD & 5-way Lepto). Than it is safe to vaccinate the calves born after the cows have been vaccinated at any stage of their growth (after 3 months of age).
Pfizers product BoviShield is the ONLY MLV I know of that has label clearance to vaccinate this way.
We vaccinate calves when they are over 3 months so they have good protection when we wean. Than we vacc them again after weaning in the fall. Besides BS5, we give them a Pasteurella vaccine (One Shot is good - safe for nursing calves), Clostridal vaccine (safe for nursing calves).
Other MLV's can not be given to nursing calves - only after they are weaned.

Latest posts