Worming young horses

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
This is just my own schedule but I'm interested in different opinions.

If I have a mare in foal, the mare is wormed a month before it is bred. Then wormed again at 3, 6 and 10 months pregnant. Then I worm the foal at 30, 60 and 90 days and every 3 months after that for the first year. They go on a regualar worming schedule after that (once every 4 months).

In addition I always worm with wormer approved for pregnant mares and wormer approve for foals. I always worm to weight and try to guess youngs one a little light. I always rotate wormers (active ingrediant).

I believe worming young ones to light doses 3 months in a row is not a problem. They tend to run around eating every other horses poop at that age. I'll say I wouldn't do it 4 months in a row. But I have never saw a need to worm 4 months in a row and feel it might be pushing the line too much, they are very clean and healthly looking after the 2 dose but still have worms.

Just my opinion and schedule.

Alan

:lol: Do you ever use the daily wormer? My 27 year old gelding is still being shown in pleasure classes and has been
on the daily wormer since it first came out. He gets rotated
with ivermectin and quest. His fecal exams are always negetive
:p I am very pleased with his health. He eats a senior feed
and good grass hay. ( This horse had colic surgery at age 8-
twist in front of the rectum). He has never had any reoccurance. :D

holly heifer":3s9rq9y4 said:
:lol: Do you ever use the daily wormer? My 27 year old gelding is still being shown in pleasure classes and has been
on the daily wormer since it first came out. He gets rotated
with ivermectin and quest. His fecal exams are always negetive
:p I am very pleased with his health. He eats a senior feed
and good grass hay. ( This horse had colic surgery at age 8-
twist in front of the rectum). He has never had any reoccurance. :D

27 and still showing wow! sounds like he is doing great, he's on a great diet and seems to be very healthly... what a lucky horse to have found you.

I don't like the daily wormers, simply because I'm afraid of worms building a resistance to them. But it sounds like you're smart enough to rotate the type of wormer you use and all the fecal test have come back negitive. So in your case you're doing it right... if it's not broke don't fix it.

What type of pleasure class do you show?

Again, you should be proud you obviously take great care of your horse.

Alan