Worming schedule bred, just calved, and calfs help???

Help Support CattleToday:

hicky214

Reaction score
Ok so as I try to get my dates sets up I need some help. I had one cow that weaned a 500 lb calf about 2 months ago and she is bred back but just looked awful I wormed her with Ivomec injection about 2 weeks ago and I can see the weight coming back. The rest of my cattle look good but as I am new, I want to get a good safe worming schedule down. I do the Black leg in Feb. As this was the first year I had them so did all 26 then. So I guess I will re do them next Feb. I hate getting them up and causing the stress if not needed. They are all very calm but still. So as of now all look fat and healthy on just pasture but out of the 26 cow there are 14 calves So 40 total. I am keeping right 8-10 heifers out of those calfs. So I need worming and blackleg advise for calfs in general. I was planning on blackleg them when I wean roughly 6 months of age. If I am wrong then correct me. But when should I worm calfs. I want to keep these heifers in tip top shape. Also can I worm heavy bred cows and cows that just had a calf? I basically just need a schedule. I did the Ivomec injection on the one cow but if there is a better solution please advise. Pour on etc. Cost effective would be great but I do want quality product also. The Ivomec was $40.00 and will do 3-4 cows that can get high. Sorry for the long post but I am trying to keep this herd healthy and growing. I want to retain good healthy heifers. Thanks so much you are all great. I am in central Va.

Matt

branguscowgirl wrote:
All-
Deworm-Injectable or tube spring and fall.
Clostridial 8-way spring and fall.
IBR/BVD type I & II, BRSV spring and fall
Lepto 5 spring and fall.
Seleniun spring and fall.

Heifers get Brucellosis vac at weaning. (from vet only.)
Rabies and Anaplasmosis and Trich is considered.

Birth-
Selenium
Intranasal IBR/BVD
Oral Rota/corona (Calf Guard)

Matt, This is my protocol. I copied this from a thread that we discussed everyone's different vaccination regimes on. You can go to the thread and see what others do. Everyone has a little bit different routine. The thread is "vaccination protocols."
Your vet should also be able to give you a list of what is recommended for your area and the frequency.

Mine is simple. I vaccinate & deworm heifers at weaning. Bovi-Shield Gold FP5. They also get Alpha-7/MB-1. Booster with Bovi-Shield BRSV.
Afterwards they are vaccinated with the breeding group they are placed with. Prior to breeding the group receives Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5 L5 HB, Alpha-7 and dewormed.
I'll deworm one anytime I feel they need it. That is very seldom outside the routine schedule above.

fitz

My program is actually simpler than it looks......
Birth, spring, and fall.
This is exactly what my vets have recommended. I stick closely to it because my cattle do leave the ranch to go to the fairs. If they stayed home, or I had an entirely closed herd, I may do things a bit different. But I doubt it.
My vet swears that they need to be tube wormed to be truly complete. For years I did not do it. Now I do.

I think a lot depends on what you do with your cattle. I personally want to be confident that my bulls will leave here in good health when sold.

Latest posts