worming question

Help Support CattleToday:

Holmesfarm":1bb7wu16 said:
want to worm the cattle, Is Ivomec pour on safe to use on bred cows and calfs as young as 3 months?

Editing that out. Sorry, that was kind of snarky. And after I just got finished telling somebody not to be embarrassed for asking obvious questions.

May I suggest reading the label to be sure?

Holmesfarm":11buk45a said:
want to worm the cattle, Is Ivomec pour on safe to use on bred cows and calfs as young as 3 months?

Yes, but I would like to qualify that answer as being straight Ivomec - not Ivomec Plus, which I have no experience with. We've used it on pregnant cows, and I've used it on bottle/bucket (just for you, hillsdown :lol: ) calfs as young as 1 week old with no problems. You just need to make sure you read the directions, and use the correct dosage.

My vet says that the pour on's are NOT effective on calves. I differ with her opinion somewhat I think they do some good but she is supposed to know more than I do..but who doesn't. She recommended either injectable or paste.........

I'm not a vet, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express lately, But I do have to wonder......wonder why pour on would not work on young calves?

It is simply a poison that is delivered via skin contact...so i have to ask...what the difference would be?

vet give an explanation why it wont work? :cboy:

Medic24":31mz7fk1 said:
I'm not a vet, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express lately, But I do have to wonder......wonder why pour on would not work on young calves?

It is simply a poison that is delivered via skin contact...so i have to ask...what the difference would be?

vet give an explanation why it wont work? :cboy:

Momma has a tendency to lick it off!

We just used a pellet dewormer called Panacur. Vet things that by rotating back and forth from different wormers that we will get some worms that become resistant. All I know is they ate it up fine, wish I could tell if it was better or worse than injectable.

Panacur is just another brand of "fenbendazol". An ok wormer but not the best. Should work well for a change of pace though and in pellet form it's very "labor friendly".

you do know that this is the stuff they feed to kids in the physicians office to worm them don't you? :lol: :lol:

Thats why it is often flavored like vanilla pudding...Heck for the longest time, I was getting a few teaspoons myself just to be on the safe side. :eek:

Injectabe Decomax is labeled for newborns. I just worked some as young as 1 1/2 months with it. I would want to use something for lice also if using a drench this time of year. One of my favorites is Valbazen it gets flukes and tapes, great on calves. They are serious about 45 days after bull pull on Valbazen with cows, abourted one once years ago. Lice and worms are a primary that causes many secondary illinesses from a run down immune system and parasite control always pays for itself in performance. I always pour-on at preg check this year used Cytectin but have used Ivomec many times, I use something different from what I used prebreeding.

TheBullLady":22kotn83 said:
They worm K I D S ??? :shock:

Maybe THATS why my daughter eats so dang much and never gains a pound........she's wormy hahahaha 16 years old and barely 100 lbs soakin wet. Eats like a horse!!!

Latest posts