Worming pregnant Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
My cows should start calving in about 30 days. Is it safe to worm them now with Ivomec (the brand name) and does it matter if I use a pour on or injectable? Also, sorry my knowledge is with horses and this is what I do for my mares, should they be vaccs 30 days prior to calving also?

Can I use Ivomec and vaccs without harm to the unborn calves?

Thanks,
Alan

The instructions should say if it is safe to worm while pregnant, and withdrawl periods etc... What does the instructions say?

I've Use pour-on many times with no harm. Vaccinations is another story. There are vaccinations that can cause abortions, so read the label or talk to your vet.

i would wait till after since there so close. i have heard that the best time to worm a cow is right after calving be cause the hormones and there system is going crazy and youll get most benifit from it. makes sence .

I don't see anything on the Ivomec lable about not giving to pregnant beef cows. If anyone else sees something about not dosing pregnant cows I would like to know it.

Fred":10isvzb4 said:
I don't see anything on the Ivomec lable about not giving to pregnant beef cows. If anyone else sees something about not dosing pregnant cows I would like to know it.
Ive wormed pregnant cows no problems. not with the wormer dont want my cows banging around in no chute are alley are maybe going down and being stromped on especially that for along. and get better benifit right after they calve dont see no point too

I'm sure worming them now would not hurt them but my only question is why? In Feb. 30 days before calving??

Alan":2rwggleo said:
My cows should start calving in about 30 days. Is it safe to worm them now with Ivomec (the brand name) and does it matter if I use a pour on or injectable? Also, sorry my knowledge is with horses and this is what I do for my mares, should they be vaccs 30 days prior to calving also?

Can I use Ivomec and vaccs without harm to the unborn calves?

Thanks,
Alan
I

Ivome won't hurt the unborn calf. I would consult your vet on the vaccine. You need to use a killed vaccine on bred stock and can use a mod-live vaccine on cows that have calved.

The problem with worming this time of year is where the heel fly larvae are in the cows as they move through her system. Right now they are in the area of the neck and throat, and so can possibly cause issues with the cow if killed now. Your vet can help here as well. If they aren't showing signs of lice I would hold off until after they calve, to work them.

buckaroo_bif":3czjn18x said:
I'm sure worming them now would not hurt them but my only question is why? In Feb. 30 days before calving??

As I said earlier, my knowledge is better with horses. You worm a pregnant mare 30 days before they foal, this will help worm the unborn foal also. I'm wondering if it is true for cattle.

I check with a couple of vets, both said no problem with pour on.

Thanks,
Alan

Caustic Burno":3sa7dvqq said:
I have had one cow dry up twice after Ivomecing for worms.
Pour-on or injectible? Did the loss of milk stunt the calf?

i worm mine twice a year may, work calves and preg check fall cows. and oct-nov work calves preg check spring cows, if they are close i would wait until they calve. i don't stress mine during calving season.

Lots of questions here, but the best place to go is the source.

Q: Do you have any other questions or comments about IVOMEC?

A: Please use our Rep Locator to find the Merial Sales Representative that serves you, or call 1-888-MERIAL-1 and press 3 for Merial Veterinary Technical Support.

I know they are the producer and they like to sell the stuff - but it has been my experience they will not bs a person.

Bez!