worming during timed AI

Help Support CattleToday:

mtnhunter

Reaction score
Can cattle be wormed anytime during the timed AI protocol? Since you have to get them up three times I would like to worm and vaccinate during one of those times each year. Newbie here and any info appreciated.

Vaccinate 30 days before AI date at least 21 so they can cycle once before breeding. Not sure about the worming, but if your gonna vaccinate before, then worm at the same time no worries.

There is probably no reason why they can't be wormed during the AI protocol but I personally would not, I'd have all that sorted several weeks before the timed AI. I would not be doing anything that might have them off their game a bit as I want to have them keen and ready to play around and jumping all over each other.
Ken

wbvs58":rqfzmroo said:
There is probably no reason why they can't be wormed during the AI protocol but I personally would not, I'd have all that sorted several weeks before the timed AI. I would not be doing anything that might have them off their game a bit as I want to have them keen and ready to play around and jumping all over each other.
Ken
Agree. The less stress, the better. I try to do everything at least 30 ahead of time.

avoid valbazen during the AI process and 30 days post breeding , I think safgaurd claims to be safe on short pregnancies, I have done it with injectable , and didnt seem to make a difference .

We vac and worm the first time through the chute to insert CIDR's. We have been doing this for about 5 years and average around 65% conception on TAI breeding.

Would you use pour on 30 days prior or when you put them in the chute their first trip?

nobull82":3vwpnbe3 said:
Would you use pour on 30 days prior or when you put them in the chute their first trip?

No, but we won't use pour on at all. You'll get much better results from injectable.

mtnhunter":147zin1g said:
Can cattle be wormed anytime during the timed AI protocol? Since you have to get them up three times I would like to worm and vaccinate during one of those times each year. Newbie here and any info appreciated.

I have asked myself this same question plenty, I don't know the correct answer. But, I can't get past the fact that wormer is designed to kill all parasites, is a newly fertilized embryo one of the parasites the wormer is after? I wormed my cows today with injectable, I'll turn the bull in three weeks from now.

Alan":o0nqewsu said:
Red Bull Breeder":o0nqewsu said:
I don't think a embryo would be a parasite.

Would a wormer treat it as a foreign body?

Some wormer can't be used just before and just after breeding, someone named it above. As far as ones labeled 'safe', I'd consider the condition of the cows. Any handling is stressful and if the cow is already stressed from a heavy worm load the extra stress could cause the embryo to die. I get our cows done in April, most calves have arrived, lice start showing up then, and I vaccinate then. I got them done 3 weeks ago and they are putting on weight. None were too thin but had some '4's in there. The majority of the calves are between 6 and 9 weeks old and we'll put the bull out in 2 weeks. All the cows are gaining right now and that's the condition I want them in at breeding time. That is the biggest reason we worm at least 30 days before bull turn out, to get those cows gaining weight leading up to breeding time.

We do use one of the white wormers, orally, about July 4th. That worming has had no noticeable adverse affect on pregnancies. It seems to be the most critical worming for the calves and young breeding stock up to 3 year olds. Or maybe it is just as important with the spring & fall injectibles, and one without the other

Just finished AI school and they said you need to worm and do all vaccinations 30 days prior to ai

Bumping an old thread. General consensus seems to be to worm 30 days before. I sure would like to worm when I put in the CIDRs. I'm not worried about extra stress. Will the wormer interfere with anything else? What about UltraSabre? Any new input?

You won't have a problem giving Panacur. Pour-on/injectables of Ivomec/Dectomax/Eprinex upon CIDR insertion also shouldn't be a problem. You didn't say what protocol you're following or but if you're doing the most common 7 day timed AI protocol and worm/insert CIDR on day 0, insemination won't occur for at least 8 and most likely 9 or more days after worming. White wormers are purge wormers and should be well out of the system by then. The others listed will stay around in the body for awhile but unless you're animals are heavily infested with parasites outside the stomach/intestines shouldn't be a problem either. Valbazen states on the label "Do not administer to female cattle during the first 45 days of pregnancy or for 45 days after removal of bulls," but again should be ok to do ahead of time. You're in Georgia so parasites might be heavy. I use all those dewormers at day 0 and have excellent AI success. Do not give vaccines on day 0. Best advice ask your veterinarian that is familiar with your herd and parasites of the area. I could see where some parasites such as flukes or warbles would cause some inflammatory effects I wouldn't want going on at the time of AI. Ask your vet, call the product support of the various manufacturers, or use Panacur. If you're a science guy and want to see the research, do a search on PubMed.com. Ultrasaber on day 0 also shouldn't be a problem. I'd worm them.

Thank you Prariegrass. Very informative post. We will be doing CIDRs Next Monday and breeding on day 10 so I think it will be fine. I plan to worm with Synanthic and also pour on UltraSabre. I didn't really see where it would cause an issue but I'm new at the AI stuff so I just wanted to be sure.

Latest posts