Worming donkeys...

Help Support CattleToday:

Never tried it with mine. I use the horse stuff. You know, the kind they will spit out everywhere on you? I need to worm this weekend. Glad you mentioned it.

Have you read the label on the ivermec? Most of the time it will say whether or not you can use it on equines. I'd read the label but I don't imagine it would hurt them any. Keep the flies off.

Lammie - The label doesn't say anything about equine. I'm thinking it might no hurt. As for catching them to put something down their throats...forget it. These two are wackadoodles :lol2:

Tell me. I raise the suckers... We are trimming hooves this weekend, too.

I get mine penned and then take one at a time out and worm them, trim them, slick them off, whatever I need to do. I need to shave them off, get all the leftover winter coat, trim up their bellies, give them a good wash first. That will be for another weekend. It's an all day affair.

wouldnt want too use pour on, their hide is different nor ivomec PLUS... but i use regular ivomec injectable i pull the syringe take needle out and squirt it in, just like the paste wormers

alacattleman":6ixg9n8a said:
wouldnt want too use pour on, their hide is different nor ivomec PLUS... but i use regular ivomec injectable i pull the syringe take needle out and squirt it in, just like the paste wormers

You are probably right.

Farmer Z, I would post this on the horse boards. Thinking about it, I read somewhere in one of my donkey books, and I don't have them here, that you should not use cattle wormer on the donks. I wish I had more info for you but I do the donks and Steve handles the cattle. I just feed everything. We don't even have that much stock because Steve lives out of town during the week and I don't want to mess with cattle alone. Too many ways to get hurt.

Let me know what you find out. I'm sorry I wasn't a lot of help. I just do what I do...

I've used pour-on on my donkey. I didn't use as much as they say to for a cow, I cut it in half. He's still alive, so I don't think it hurt him. The guy I bought him from uses pour-on for his donkey herd, and he hasn't had any problems, yet. :lol:

showing71":364nohkk said:
I've used pour-on on my donkey. I didn't use as much as they say to for a cow, I cut it in half. He's still alive, so I don't think it hurt him. The guy I bought him from uses pour-on for his donkey herd, and he hasn't had any problems, yet. :lol:

Well then, good. Glad to get that answered. Like I said, I can't remember what my donkey book said about it, althought there was something in there...

If in doubt - call them.

All manufacturers have web sites and those web sites list a contact number - often a free call - if you cannot or do not want to spend the money - then send them an email - they WILL answer it

Bez+

Lammie":2ik9lgpu said:

I get mine penned and then take one at a time out and worm them, trim them, slick them off, whatever I need to do. I need to shave them off, get all the leftover winter coat, trim up their bellies, give them a good wash first. That will be for another weekend. It's an all day affair.

Dang........ my donkies need that too. Wanna come to GA and show me how it's done? If not, mine are just going to have to rub it off on the pine trees and wait for a good rain to get their bath. :lol2:

grannysoo":3n8f6hpk said:
Lammie":3n8f6hpk said:

Dang........ my donkies need that too. Wanna come to GA and show me how it's done? If not, mine are just going to have to rub it off on the pine trees and wait for a good rain to get their bath. :lol2:
Haha, after you're done with grannysoo's, wanna come do mine too? I only have one.... :lol:

grannysoo":1knx274w said:
Lammie":1knx274w said:

Just like slicking off a horse, I guess. We don't do it to everyone but I love to get that baby fuzz off my yearlings. They look like drowned rats when you shave them. I only do this once a year. The hooves get done whenever they need it. They all need it. I have a new neighbor who is a farrier that showed me what to do. I was going to take a hoof health class at the night school but I never did. I worm every three months.

The bath makes the blades on the trimmer last longer. If I can ever figure out how to post dam photos I will take pics.

Lammie":2nxcajus said:

It's time for MY Spring bath. Haircut wouldn't hurt either. Any room in the chute?

john250":2nzepq61 said:
Lammie":2nzepq61 said:

It's time for MY Spring bath. Haircut wouldn't hurt either. Any room in the chute?

john, I think we may have pinpointed the problems in your love life... :oops: :help:

john250":3r9ezgwz said:
Lammie":3r9ezgwz said:

Probably wouldn't hurt to give you a big dose of "pour on" while we gotcha in the headgate. :lol2:

It didn't hurt mine to use pour on, on them. I wouldn't give them enough to deworm a 1,200 pound cow.

Auburn_Ag":1spfz7c9 said:
It didn't hurt mine to use pour on, on them. I wouldn't give them enough to deworm a 1,200 pound cow.

If you have doubts use it on an old jack first. They're not worth but about $10 each. :lol:

we are now donkey poor. we stared out with 3 now we have 13. We use them to keep coyotes off.they do a great job. we worm them 2+ a year with ivomec pouron. If you think you need a donkey and you are in east Texas ,let me know.

Latest posts