Worming Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":2ye78cz6 said:
Kingfisher":2ye78cz6 said:
I've got a question about worming too. If your going to run em thru the alley wouldn't it be easier and more effective to give em a shot rather than a pour on or the drench into their throat?

It is more effective I feel and I always catch the cows to check their teeth for age so its just as easy for me also. I have never used drench so I can't comment on it.
M5farm does the drench get the grubs and lice? I like the idea of the drench for the worms.

Kenny (or others), we are just starting out the past few years so have a young herd (oldest cow is 4). At what age do we really need to start checking teeth? I do keep an eye on hooves already. Thanks!

boondocks":1b77kcgz said:
kenny thomas":1b77kcgz said:
Kingfisher":1b77kcgz said:
I've got a question about worming too. If your going to run em thru the alley wouldn't it be easier and more effective to give em a shot rather than a pour on or the drench into their throat?

It is more effective I feel and I always catch the cows to check their teeth for age so its just as easy for me also. I have never used drench so I can't comment on it.
M5farm does the drench get the grubs and lice? I like the idea of the drench for the worms.

Kenny (or others), we are just starting out the past few years so have a young herd (oldest cow is 4). At what age do we really need to start checking teeth? I do keep an eye on hooves already. Thanks!
I would think around 6 or 7. I don;t worry till I start notcing a condition issue or excess drooling. But at 6-7 I may take a quick peak just for security sake.

I tube worm atleast once per year with valbezon and give ivomectin plus injectable at the same time, per my vets recommendation. I will then use the pour on maybe 2-3 more times through out the year for lice.
Liver flukes are carried by a snail and spread around before being ingested by the cattle. So yes, moist pastures is usually where they live.

dun":3qmq4rjr said:
boondocks":3qmq4rjr said:
I would think around 6 or 7. I don;t worry till I start notcing a condition issue or excess drooling. But at 6-7 I may take a quick peak just for security sake.

Thanks Dun! Doing our preg checks tomorrow. Hope we get good numbers.

Spring and fall for us, and we switch up each time. Pour on in spring, Valbazen in fall, injectable in spring, pour on in fall. Our vet says worms can get resistant and to always switch up, so we do. This year was a stomach worm year. My bottle calves got a bad case of them and the first wormer we used on them had no effect. Valbazen worked in a matter of a few days. One year, a wet year, liver flukes were rampant in our bred heifer pasture.
If you have any question as to what to use and what kind of worms you need to get rid of, take a stool sample to your vet and they can advise the best route..

cowgirl8":2p4455bl said:
Spring and fall for us, and we switch up each time. Pour on in spring, Valbazen in fall, injectable in spring, pour on in fall. Our vet says worms can get resistant and to always switch up, so we do. This year was a stomach worm year. My bottle calves got a bad case of them and the first wormer we used on them had no effect. Valbazen worked in a matter of a few days. One year, a wet year, liver flukes were rampant in our bred heifer pasture.
If you have any question as to what to use and what kind of worms you need to get rid of, take a stool sample to your vet and they can advise the best route..

Your assumption of switching wormers to fend off resistance is not necessarily true. The sheep industry is on the frontlines of this issue being that sheep are more susceptible to internal parasites. There is a fair amount of folks that recommend using the same wormer until it becomes un-effective then move on to another. Hitting worms with all the wormers can lead to X-amount building resistance over time and soon they will be resistant to all your wormers on your ranch.

OF course to hit flukes one needs to use "white" wormers (valbazen) or Ivomec plus.

plumber_greg":27pykzou said:
Long Range wormer in the spring, pour on in the fall. gs

One of the guys I buy for used the long range on a load of heifers this year. He was very pleased. Don't you have to get it with a vet prescription though?

I've been using the generic Ivomec pour-on from TSC and doing 3-5 times the recommended dose per head with good results . Does anyone else do that or see any problem with doing this ?

BobbyLummus1":34syigx5 said:
I've been using the generic Ivomec pour-on from TSC and doing 3-5 times the recommended dose per head with good results . Does anyone else do that or see any problem with doing this ?

I think you are just wasting the extra you are putting on them. What it will kill it will kill with the correct amount. Using that rate you can buy the good stuff and use the correct amount and really get control of the parasites.

AllForage":27j4nh5e said:
cowgirl8":27j4nh5e said:

Your assumption of switching wormers to fend off resistance is not necessarily true. The sheep industry is on the frontlines of this issue being that sheep are more susceptible to internal parasites. There is a fair amount of folks that recommend using the same wormer until it becomes un-effective then move on to another. Hitting worms with all the wormers can lead to X-amount building resistance over time and soon they will be resistant to all your wormers on your ranch.

OF course to hit flukes one needs to use "white" wormers (valbazen) or Ivomec plus.
Note that its not my assumption, but the advice from our vet.

kenny thomas":29mqdq4b said:
plumber_greg":29mqdq4b said:
Long Range wormer in the spring, pour on in the fall. gs

One of the guys I buy for used the long range on a load of heifers this year. He was very pleased. Don't you have to get it with a vet prescription though?
Probably, vet is my friend. Asked him how much I owed him for the year last fall, he said to pay him what I thought it was worth. Would rather he gave me a number. gs

Latest posts