Worming cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

K&S Cattle

Reaction score
With Spring on the way, what does everyone use to worm their herd? Also what other vaccines do you guys/gals use?

Thanks,

K&S

Used Ivomec/Cydectin/Dectomax for quite a while.Last year I switched back to drenching with Synanthic.A little more trouble but I'm trying to head of a resistance to dewormers.Used to do the cows twice a year but have cut back to fall on most.Younger cows still get done twice.Ideal time here in worm cycle is July 1 but that's still hay time so try to catch most of the calves around then.
Calves get a 7way Clostridial and pinkeye vaccine.Open cows get MLV IBR BVD PI3 and 5 way lepto.Cows which are bred get either 5 way lepto or a 10 way killed.Also get pinkeye. Cows get a booster of 5way Lepto in the fall.
Weither or not the pinkeye does much good,I can't say.Last year,I had to use what I could get instead of what I like and had none.In '16 we had some of the worst we've ever had and so did everyone else around over the country.
If you have a good vet like we do,talk to him about what is best in your area.You may not need as much as I do or you might need something else.

i have never wormed an adult cow. i worm the calves 30 days after weaning.

We routinely use DE in our feed and I mix it in the mineral. We will use a pour on when the cows go through the chute if they are looking a bit thin or poor but do not worm regularly. We do often worm calves after weaning, except now they are on feed that has the DE in it and they are looking pretty good. It's more on an "as needed" basis. Plus, we try to do as much rotational grazing as possible so have maybe less worm problems than some. Lice this time of year is the biggest thing. And we use killed virus vaccines. Calves all get clostridial due to blackleg deaths many years ago, cows get lepto at preg check. We used to do pinkeye, never saw where it did any better than not doing it. We try to keep replacements from cows that are resistant to pinkeye, and have little to no need for worming, have good feet and legs and are long lived in the herd. Our own way of evolution?

Worm anything under 3 YO when we can. Usually spring and summer for fly treatment when older animals get a fly pour on and younger animals get wormer pour on. Weaned calves are wormed when kept.

Last year, I went from Ivomec injectable to Valbazen (albendazole).

A couple of my cows were exhibiting chute shyness because of the two shots of Ivomec (takes two because of the 10mL limit per injection sire) required. I give Ivomec subcutaneously in the loose skin behind the front leg.

I have actually found using a drenching syringe and Valbazen to be easy for me and less stress on the cows.

I worm calves every 6 weeks with Valbazen.

We worm every time cows are penned. In the spring we do an injectable and in the fall a trench, usually Valbazen. We have used Long Range with good results in the spring but it so expensive not sure we can do that every year. We try to do a pour on on yearlings every 60 days if possible. I'm surprised that everybody doesn't worm thier cattle but I always hear from people that we do things different around here.

Lucky":2j3xmdid said:
We worm every time cows are penned. In the spring we do an injectable and in the fall a trench, usually Valbazen. We have used Long Range with good results in the spring but it so expensive not sure we can do that every year. We try to do a pour on on yearlings every 60 days if possible. I'm surprised that everybody doesn't worm thier cattle but I always hear from people that we do things different around here.

Where are you from Lucky?

North East Texas. You can sure tell a difference in when worming cattle here. Minerals also seem to be important here.

Have used regular Ivomec spring and fall on everything for the last 3 years or so. Wondered if I was fostering any resistance in the worm population and did a mass fecal sample at preg check last fall. Just a handful of nematodes in the sample. That being said, I have been considering using Valbazen in the future - just trying to swallow the price difference.

Aaron":1ykk9enx said:
Wondered if I was fostering any resistance in the worm population and did a mass fecal sample at preg check last fall. Just a handful of nematodes in the sample.

My guess is it takes more than a few generations to get resistance, but the Safeguard guys here will do free fecal counts to help sell their product...

What is your situation with liver flukes?

Stocker Steve":1yirvk4m said:
Aaron":1yirvk4m said:
Wondered if I was fostering any resistance in the worm population and did a mass fecal sample at preg check last fall. Just a handful of nematodes in the sample.

My guess is it takes more than a few generations to get resistance, but the Safeguard guys here will do free fecal counts to help sell their product...

What is your situation with liver flukes?

Real bad for most. Although been good for me lately. Draining lowland combined with fencing out of dugouts, a dry year last year and a healthy group of hunting veterans willing to exterminate deer with extreme prejudice has really helped my situation. Last 38 month old animal that I took to slaughter in November actually had a decent consumable liver with no track marks. The 2nd time that has happened in the last 20 years. Vet said 6 years ago, biggest impact you can make on flukes is kill all the deer and break the cycle. He's right.

Latest posts