worming calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

hello, i have a few bottle raised calves 3 are now off the milk replacer and are eating hay & grass what do I need to know about worming-deworming them, if anyone can help me with a health schedule thanks for any info

> hello, i have a few bottle raised
> calves 3 are now off the milk
> replacer and are eating hay &
> grass what do I need to know about
> worming-deworming them, if anyone
> can help me with a health schedule
> thanks for any info

check at your feed mill for worm pellets that you can buy in smaller quanities and mix with thier feed. they seem to work well for bottle calves and show animals.

[email protected]

Most breeders worm twice a year with either injectable or pour-on wormer.

We worm in the late fall, early winter, with Ivomec Plus injectable to kill off parasites, including flukes.

We worm again in the spring with a pour-on just as we turn the cows out to pasture.

Your veterinarian is the best person to ask to help you set up a worming and vaccination schedule.

> check at your feed mill for worm
> pellets that you can buy in
> smaller quanities and mix with
> thier feed. they seem to work well
> for bottle calves and show
> animals.

Hi! We worm all our stock 2 times a year, spring and fall, using Dectomax which is almost identical to Ivomec and costs lot less--it is an injectible. Injectibles are longer lasting since they are systemic vs. topical. We have also used a product called "Safeguard" which is a pelleted monthly de-wormer mixed in with a feed for bovines only. Still feel the injectible type is more effective. Another note: If calves are kept in a pen or stall area, be sure to regularly clean out the area and haul out the manure (just like you would do with horses). Cleanliness goes a long way to animal health. Additionally, we use a molasses/mineral block with Rabon insecticide in it which helps to keep flies killed in manure piles for bovines only.

Latest posts