Worming bred cows...

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
What is the feeling from the board about worming bred cows...I've heard both sides of the argument and would like some fresh thoughts....DMc

I've de-wormed bred cows with no ill effects, at least none that I'm aware of. The calves came out normal and healthy.
At the farm where I work, it's done all the time with no problems.

Katherine

Spring work up here is early march ideally. Some havn't calved yet by then. We worm then and vaccinate anyhow. No problems, just always read the labels on anything you use. But you already know that.

I took one to the vet the other day and he had no problem with it, he just ran her through wormed, vaccinated and sent her home.

what is the "con" argument? dont think i've heard that one yet.

Depends on the wormer. You need to read the label. Valbazen drench is my choice but you aren't supposed to use it 45 days post breeding. Could possibly slip a fetus. Don't think any other wormers have an issue with pregnant cows. Pour ons are pretty good, but don't control flukes. Ivomec Plus injectable gets adult flukes and is safe for any stage of pregnancy. Can't stand feed through wormers because it's difficult to gauge accurate quantities, unless you have a show animal and such they are penned by themselves with the feed.

Beefy":9jweyy7x said:
what is the "con" argument? dont think i've heard that one yet.

My vet says ivermectin products after six months can hurt the calf. He says to use moxidectin products.

Scotty