Worming advice.

Help Support CattleToday:

bobrammer

Reaction score
I was planning on running the cows in the next week or so. I was just curious what you guys think is the most effective way to worm them. Many thanks! Bob

I've read with interest all the worming threads that have appeared in the past few weeks. I've seen the comments on grubs and that it is dangerous to worm too soon, but I still can't understand exactly when it is safe. Most say spring and fall, but I'm having trouble pin pointing the time. Here in SE Kentucky, it's now spring. Grass is beginning to grow, trees starting to leave out, flies are on my cows and temps are in the mid sixties. Is it safe to worm now? Is there something weather wise that I should go by or a sign from nature?

I'm really confused. I read one thread and I think "OK, I'm gonna worm this weekend." Then the next post I think" Oops, better wait a while". Can anyone give a definite time?
By the way, I bought my heifers last November and I don't know if they were wormed previously, but at least one looks to need it.

Hasbeen - Since I'm not from around there, not a good one to advise. You could check with local cattle folk who have good/sound herd health practices (they should know) or the local vet.

Having said that, from what you have said I would think if not now within a couple of weeks to be worry free relative to the grub concern. In our area (central VA) we are only seeing a few face flys & although temps were up in the 60's last week I think the expected high today is only in the 50's. So I would wait until later in the month for treatment here. Since I only worm cows once during the year, I like to wait until the peak of worm season to apply the treatment, which is usually mid to late spring (we only in the early spring here).

Hope this helps.

Why not just go a head and worm now but not use a grubacide? Get on the grubs next fall when you worm and there won;t be the concerns next spring. You should have a local large animal vetthat knows cattle and conditions in your area, you could ask him/her if it's safe to use a grubacide now if you're dead set on using one this spring.

dun

Thanks Farminlund, your weather is very similar to what we're getting here. Guess I'll wait at least a couple more weeks. Thanks again.

We had a well-respected vet from VaTech speak at our local cattleman's meeting a few months ago on worming/vaccination practices. This question came up, he answered by saying that he would not hesitate to worm cattle anytime of year, speaking in particular of the generic ivermectins. After hearing so much to the contrary for so many years, I thought this was quite interesting.

cfpinz

Did anyone question him on such a statement as it does fly in the face of many currently published "articles" & what I thought was common knowledge & practice?

I think an explanation as to why until he came around we all thought it bad to kill the grubs while migrating through the cow. The reasoning not to kill them seems most logical & persuasive; what could be the reason that now it is OK to kill them during this phase of their life cycle? The only explanation that might hold up in my mind is the cattle grub problem doesn't exist anymore & thus there are no grubs that will die in the spinal canal or esophagus when a cow is treated in the winter after nontreatment for grubs in the fall.

Farminlund":1era5m7q said:
I think an explanation as to why until he came around we all thought it bad to kill the grubs while migrating through the cow.

One can treat for worms - without treating for grubs - at any time. We treat for grubs when heel-fly season is over (as is the recommended practice), but we de-worm the herd twice a year - spring and fall.

When he was asked these questions his response was: When was the last time you have personally saw an animal die from this, and when was the last time you have seen these grubs? His reasoning is that with the recent popularity and widespread use of pour-on wormers, grubs are not as prevalent as in the past. This was also in reference to producers who have wormed their stock on a regular basis in the past, not just picking up a wormy cow at the market and dosing her down with wormer. Although I have done the latter in the past, oblivious to the consequences, and have never lost an animal because of this. Not saying I wholeheartedly agree with him, just that I follow his reasoning and my personal experience supports it. Just my thoughts....

cfpinz

Not seeing someone die from grabbing a hot 220V line/wire while standing on a good grounded surface does not mean that doing such doesn't result in death or serious injury. So his first statement doesn't do to much for me, especially since most herd health conscious farmers treat for grubs in the fall to begin with - no grubs, no issues - no deaths to see because we don't put ourselves in a position to see any deaths. Now his second comment about there being less heel flies around does hold some water in my opinion. When I started my herd many years ago, heel flies were prevalent, while recently they seem very scarce (I'm also not the best at ID'ing them either). My cows in the distant past used to frequently put their tails up & run from what my mentor farmer said were heel flies - haven't seen that happen in years. Again, would agree if no grubs, then no issues - but if you are not sure (as I am not), why take the chance?

I'm not taking sides here but I would assume his first reason is based on the rarity of cases in which cattle have been harmed by using grubicides at the wrong times. There is still the posibility, but at what point does become negligible: 1%, .01%, .001%?? As for the 220v, I might be dumb, but I ain't stupid! :lol:

cfpinz