wormer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

is there a good dry [pill] typ wormer on the market that will take care of all in one kinda deal? whitout the aid of a vet ...how can you tell if you got a cow that needs worming?............thanks again........

We use pour-over wormer. Cows should be wormed twice a year, usually spring and fall. It's not a matter of knowing when they need it, they all do and it's good care and maintainence to worm them twice a year.

[email protected]

> We use pour-over wormer. Cows
> should be wormed twice a year,
> usually spring and fall. It's not
> a matter of knowing when they need
> it, they all do and it's good care
> and maintainence to worm them
> twice a year.

thanks jena..........i guess by the name you just pour it over them?.....

Ivomec is one brand of pour on wormer, but it is rather expensive. Just pour Ivomec between the front shoulders on the spine area. Now don't laugh at what I am about to say, because a old timer in cattle told me this at the sale barn when I ask the same question you did. He said all he ever used was to pour about 2-3 small cans of snuff over the feed. Had no problem with cattle eating feed with this on it. If you are laughing now, that's ok because I am laughing also. If anyone out there has ever heard of this or knows if it works, talk to us.

[email protected]

> Can pour over wormer be used if
> the cow is pregnant or nursing?

Yes. It's really called pour-on wormer. I guess I was thinking of Orville's popcorn when I first responded :)

[email protected]

my buddies grampa swore by copenhagen, for the horses we usta just let them lick it outta the Can. I dont really know if it worked but us kidds thought it was funny.....Nate

[email protected]

Since the stuff is so expensive, when not all of the product is used, can it be stored, and under what conditions, and for how long?

A lot of the oldtimers used/use tobacco fresh or cured for worming animals. I'm sure it gets rid of some things, but probably not all.

jim

[email protected]

I do not find Iveomec to be that expensive..Of corse the larger the size the cheaper the price.If you had 1000 cows maybe a 50 gal. drum would be the answer.. But using the right amount of product for the right weight is important in the cost,twice thd amount needed,will not hurt the cow but will hurt the pocket book..Also when using in the fall it is important not to wait to late, because of the grub mirgation...

[email protected]

You're right, Ivomec will get expensive if you over dose. With a few head of cattle it can be used several times. I wormed my cattle 1/1/03. Easy to remember when six months are up. Great product.

[email protected]

Latest posts