World's Tallest Cow is a Holstein

Help Support CattleToday:

JWBrahman

Reaction score
6'4" at the shoulder, the Illinois Holstein is being photographed for the Guiness Book of World Records.
16083770-mmmain.jpg

i wish the holsteins i used to milk were that tall. i hated bending over all the time

She probably has a good life ahead of her as an attraction at state fairs and political events. If that is all the milk she has it is hard to see how anything could nurse her so far off the ground. That drop out of the birth canal cannot be fun for the calf, either.

It looks like it has a terrible conformation! I know a lot of dairy cows aren't all that pretty, but this thing doesn't look even close to being structurally sound,... and no udder? Unlikely she'll be used for flushing or anything else productive.. she'll just be a freak show attraction.

So what does that amount to in frame scores??

Isn't the frame score (Height-48)/2 using inches?.. that would make her a 14.. I can't remember if it was 48 or 40 inch for a 0 frame, in which case it would be a 18. Makes my big cows look like minis either way!

I can't watch videos from here, but at 13years old I'd expect to see an udder. I could tell by her stance she wouldn't move well, she looks hunched permanantly

B&M Farms":1pauvus8 said:
TexasBred":1pauvus8 said:
Looks like a freemartin

Exactly. Probably the only way she got that big.
I don't know about that, I just saw few cull Holstein cows at sale barn last Monday, they are very big and biggest one weighted at 2,145 pounds and her udder is full of milk.

Umm.. it makes sense that she's a freemartin, but why the heck keep one for 13 years???.. I'm sure she's got a fair appetite too...

Can't imagine the splat those cowpies make hitting the ground!

Taurus":xxz3cx0c said:
B&M Farms":xxz3cx0c said:
TexasBred":xxz3cx0c said:
Looks like a freemartin

I don't know about that, I just saw few cull Holstein cows at sale barn last Monday, they are very big and biggest one weighted at 2,145 pounds and her udder is full of milk.
Size has nothing to do with it. This one just has the look of a freemartin. There is no evidence that she ahs ever had a full udder at any time.

TexasBred":36sqfq4u said:
Taurus":36sqfq4u said:
B&M Farms":36sqfq4u said:
Size has nothing to do with it. This one just has the look of a freemartin. There is no evidence that she ahs ever had a full udder at any time.
I don't say that, I just don't believe that being a freemartin is responsible for her size but I don't see anything in that article suggests her being a freemartin. Not much about her story.

EDITED: Turns out that she's a strictly pet cow. Doesn't sounds like she has seen a bull in her whole life.

She's perhaps strictly a pet because she couldn't be bred... Or perhaps the dexter bull just couldn't find a way to do it :hide: I think if a cow that size was in heat, at some point in her 13 years she'd have walked over a fence to go find a bull.

So in fact she's not the world's tallest cow.. she's the worlds tallest and oldest HEIFER...

Nesikep":1o55xpz7 said:
She's perhaps strictly a pet because she couldn't be bred... Or perhaps the dexter bull just couldn't find a way to do it :hide: I think if a cow that size was in heat, at some point in her 13 years she'd have walked over a fence to go find a bull.

So in fact she's not the world's tallest cow.. she's the worlds tallest and oldest HEIFER...

I tend to agree with this assessment.

I would add that she's becoming immobile and i don't think she should be a pet much longer.

JWBrahman":2aco2uc8 said:
She probably has a good life ahead of her as an attraction at state fairs and political events. If that is all the milk she has it is hard to see how anything could nurse her so far off the ground. That drop out of the birth canal cannot be fun for the calf, either.

:D