Worlds best beef.

Help Support CattleToday:

Dad at the Ranch
What do you find are the effects on beef when you cross breed. Does the marbling carry over?

certherfbeef":140ojjon said:
Honestly, I kinda like the hereford I eat.

This is probably BLASPHEMY to some people; but I like the Prime Steaks Cracker Barrell used to sell, the T-bones at Wafflehouse, Western Sizzlin's steaks, oven barbecued brisket from Wal-Mart, crock pot roast, and the grass finished little steer we would hold back every year till he was 14 months old. Maybe I spend too much time with my dogs; but I like just about every steak or burgher I have ever eaten anywhere no matter how it was prepared, what level of doneness cooked at, or what breed it was. Of course I load up on the free goat, emu, and ostrich burgers, etc their associations used to give away at ag expoes too.

Brandon, I like it all too. Of course, I don't want a really tough, dry steak or one that is mealy because it has so much tenderizer on it, but I 'm not very picky unless I'm paying top dollar for it. :D I must say that the only steers we have ever fed for our freezer ( and this goes back to the early seventies with my dad) were either hereford, angus, or a HxA cross. Never had a bad steak at home. Plenty of bad ones at restaurants, but I ate them all. :D

I would like to try some of that Kobe beef, though. It looks good.

S.R.R.":ghphdoig said:
Dad at the Ranch
What do you find are the effects on beef when you cross breed. Does the marbling carry over?
Yes, the marbling and tenderness will carry over but just like any breed some genetics are more consistant than others, but the percent is much higher with the Wagyu. 99.9% of all Kobe style beef eaten outside of Japan is Wagyu cross something. In North America people are in a breeding up program and rarely will slaughter a purebreed or fullblood Wagyu. Everyone is trying to build their numbers.

I know there was an outfit in Saskatchewan that were selling Wagyu x Angus bulls. Don't know if they are still around. From what I remember, they put the Angus in there to get a bit of extra growth as the Wagyu were quite a slow growing breed. I have found in my own experience that cattle that grow slower usually have a bit finer muscle and are usually less stringy than those that are grown fast. I imagine that along with the marbling would have something to do with the quality of the meat.

Wafflehouse? Brandonm2, did you say Wafflehouse? Back in my travelling days, I ate so many New York strips with hash browns and two eggs over easy at that fine establishment till it ain't even funny.

Yes, when I am traveling by myself I really enjoy Wafflehouse. The steaks, the burgers, the waffles. We actually have two of them here. One for the traffic that got off the interstate and went left and a sister franchise for the traffic that got off the interstate and went right; though I usually grill/broil/pan fry/crock pot my own here at the house.

ga.prime Is that a english pointer you got there? Nice looken dog I have germen short hairs what a joy a good bird dog is to see work eh!

Dad at the Ranch":ocpbq4qi said:
S.R.R., Interesting Post! Bez, yes we eat Wagyu and also raise them. The meat is very marbled ( not white ) and also extremely tender, see the picture on my Avatar. 1848 is also correct with his post they may be ugly but the meat and genetics does bring a heafty premium. Like all good beef eaters there is only a small percentage of us which enjoy a great ribeye with a heavy amount of marbling, but now I'am not on a diet should be but not! :D

I've had it. Best Rib Eye I've ever had. Can't afford to eat it very often. Can cost as much as $75.00 per pound from Allen Brothers. Some of the ugliest cattle I've ever seen, but some of the best meat I've ever had.

SF":3h0pj6tz said:
Dad at the Ranch":3h0pj6tz said:
S.R.R., Interesting Post! Bez, yes we eat Wagyu and also raise them. The meat is very marbled ( not white ) and also extremely tender, see the picture on my Avatar. 1848 is also correct with his post they may be ugly but the meat and genetics does bring a heafty premium. Like all good beef eaters there is only a small percentage of us which enjoy a great ribeye with a heavy amount of marbling, but now I'am not on a diet should be but not! :D

I've had it. Best Rib Eye I've ever had. Can't afford to eat it very often. Can cost as much as $75.00 per pound from Allen Brothers. Some of the ugliest cattle I've ever seen, but some of the best meat I've ever had.

Great! I am glad you enjoyed the Rib Eye. How did you prepare it?

Dad at the Ranch":1hd85hd1 said:
SF":1hd85hd1 said:
Dad at the Ranch":1hd85hd1 said:

Grilled over mesquite coals

Mom at the Ranch":2cunvfmi said:
At the University of Wisconsin, researchers have looked at possible carcinogenic substances in meat. To their great surprise, they discovered that certain fats found in meat contain a substance with anti-cancer properties. This substance is also thought to combat arteriosclerosis, the tendency of arteries to become 'silted up.' These effects can be attributed to CLA (conjugated linoleic acid), which occurs mainly in monounsaturated fatty acids such as olive oil.

Further research has shown that - as a result of their genetic properties -Wagyu cattle contain up to 30% more monounsaturated fatty acids than the much-praised Angus cattle.
Well - - -this should incite some comment! I wonder what the Ultrasound EPD's would be for %IMF, REA, and %RP?? :shock: :shock:

SF":2ritqi7s said:
Dad at the Ranch":2ritqi7s said:
SF":2ritqi7s said:
Dad at the Ranch":2ritqi7s said:

Wonderfull! Just what I would have done. Also some times I will slow smoke over mesquite. How long did your steak take to cook, I assume about a third less time as regular beef? I am really glad you enjoyed your steak!

Dad at the Ranch":3vef9hv8 said:
SF":3vef9hv8 said:
SF":3vef9hv8 said:

Wonderfull! Just what I would have done. Also some times I will slow smoke over mesquite. How long did your steak take to cook, I assume about a third less time as regular beef? I am really glad you enjoyed your steak!

Maybe 15 minutes. Not very long. Like I said. Wish I could eat it several times per week. Best ever. I've never met anyone who has had it, that didn't like it.

Well - - -this should incite some comment! I wonder what the Ultrasound EPD's would be for %IMF, REA, and %RP??

Doc Harris,
I know this is not exactly what you were refering to, but interesting information anyway.

This is information that came from MARC in Clay Center.

Semen from 19 Wagyu bulls, which included 4 fullbloods imported in 1970's, born in 1973-1974, 11 fullbloods imported in the 1990's born in 1989-1990 and 4 purebreds > 15/16, born in 1985 to 1990, were used. Hereford x Angus crosses was used as the control group.

Results
Hereford X Angus Wagyu
Gestation Length 283.2 286.9
Calf Delivery 1.19 1.04
Unaided 96.7 99.3
Birth Weight 89.4 80.3
Calf Survival 91.4 95
200d Wt. 507.3 458.6
Note the ease of calf delivery and low birth weight with increased survivability.

Performance
Hereford X Angus Wagyu
Average Daily Gain 3.12 2.69
Live Weight 1349 1196
Hot Carcass Weight 828 736
Dressing Percentage 61.4 61.5
Marbling 542 562
Choice 73 85
Yield Grade 3.3 2.7
Fat Thickness 0.49 0.36
Rib Eye Area 12.69 12.55
Note the increase in marbling and the large increase in choice carcasses.

Product
Hereford X Angus Wagyu
Lbs. Meat 504 460
Lbs. Fat 214 174
Lbs. Bone 117.9 106.1

Meat Quality
Hereford X Angus Wagyu
Lbs. Shear 8.13 7.82
Tenderness Score 6.36 6.60
Flavor Score 4.71 4.76
Juiciness Score 5.29 5.39
Note the increase in tenderness and decrease in shear force.

Latest posts