World without cash!

Help Support CattleToday:

You tell me I owe you a hundred dollars for a good or service and I'm gonna plunk down a "C" note. Whether you accept or not is up to you but the bill is paid in my book.
I'm happy to take cash. All I'm saying is that if a business chooses not to accept cash, you pay on their terms or don't use their services. A wheelbarrow full of pennies is the same as a "C" note, legally. See how many businesses accept it.

I'm happy to take cash. All I'm saying is that if a business chooses not to accept cash, you pay on their terms or don't use their services. A wheelbarrow full of pennies is the same as a "C" note, legally. See how many businesses accept it.
It's totally their decision not to accept cash but I won't be doing business with them.
I called today to see why my card was denied, was told it had not been tried. No record of me trying it last night. They stated that it was not denied.

A business is not required to accept cash as payment for product or services, however, there is almost always a however,,,.
Let's say you purchase a new truck,. tractor, airplane, mink coat, what have you. For the sake of illustration the cost of
the item is $75 K (cheap plane) They agree to accept $50K as down payment. You cut a check for $50 K for the down payment
and sign a note for the remainder. The remainder is a legal debt for value received by you and can as such be paid by cash.
Cash is legal tender for all debt , public and private. The caveat here is I do not at the moment have a Uniform Security Agreement
in front of me to determine if there is a clause therein to define method of payment.

WTH was the company card denied?

You are now retired but driving yourself to an early grave. Slow down. You can still do it all, but not all at once.
Heck I have slowed down. I tried to work 80+ hours a week for years. In 2002 I hauled enough cattle to pay for a 2001 Dodge 3500 and a Wilson cattle trailer.
Most of my life I could work 40 hours without sleep. Must be getting old because 36 hours wore me out.
I will work a house auction Saturday then push snow 12 hours Saturday night and Sunday night.
Then if the roads are ok up north another trip to Maine by Tuesday. Can't lay around and get lazy. They told me to stay busy after I retired.

Heck I have slowed down. I tried to work 80+ hours a week for years. In 2002 I hauled enough cattle to pay for a 2001 Dodge 3500 and a Wilson cattle trailer.
Most of my life I could work 40 hours without sleep. Must be getting old because 36 hours wore me out.
I will work a house auction Saturday then push snow 12 hours Saturday night and Sunday night.
Then if the roads are ok up north another trip to Maine by Tuesday. Can't lay around and get lazy. They told me to stay busy after I retired.
Geez Kenny. I wish I had your energy, be careful

Some times credit cards get denied for being out of character spending. I had recently purchased Seattle Mariners season tickets and a Canadian moose hunt on my visa. The wife and I went to purchase kitchen appliances for our farmhouse remodel. The card was denied, $6k debt on a $90k card $84k available paid off monthly. When my wife called card company they said this purchase was out of character for this card and approved it. 🤣🤣🤣

Hotels have been that way for sometime....only take a credit card to reserve a room.....small mom and pop places might be the exception....

Thats the kind I like. Less people normal means less noise... seems we always end up in the hotel party, ball games, children running up and down the halls, people wanting to slam doors all night, people wanting to take their dog/cats in and out in and out in and out 100 times all night long SLAM the door, how many times can a dog or cat need go out in one night, or the man next door that snore so loud I kid you not keep us up, I literally want go over roll him in the floor and stick a sock where the sun don't shine... I can't understand people that are that loud all night and don't even realize there other people sleeping. Yes, maybe my children will be loud some what until that settle down, but their "loud" does compare to these hotel people I'm talking about loud. I could be drunk Lulu style and still not get that loud. Another thing finding needles and drug items in the hotel.... I'm not talking a cheap hotel either $100 an up. My children shouldn't find that stuff in the drawers. Or cough in Hiton parking lot by the main door. I mean shoot clean up.
How do cough even end up places like that anyways. People just take off when down throw them outside on the ground or what the heck. Same with women products. Not trying to be nasty, just always wonderful how one gets on beaches, parking lots, sides of roads, ect. I don't ride down the road doing my female business strange really. The other thing... well how everybody cows doing today?

Some times credit cards get denied for being out of character spending. I had recently purchased Seattle Mariners season tickets and a Canadian moose hunt on my visa. The wife and I went to purchase kitchen appliances for our farmhouse remodel. The card was denied, $6k debt on a $90k card $84k available paid off monthly. When my wife called card company they said this purchase was out of character for this card and approved it. 🤣🤣🤣
I get a text when that happens. If I don't respond to the text the card is refused. Kind of a good thing, kind of bad.

I get a text when that happens. If I don't respond to the text the card is refused. Kind of a good thing, kind of bad.
I found out yesterday that I should have gotten a text but they said my card had never been used. Plus the number they would have texted to was an old landline number so I wouldn't have gotten it anyway. Hope I got that part straightened out.
But I'm still pissed that I can't use cash.

I found out yesterday that I should have gotten a text but they said my card had never been used. Plus the number they would have texted to was an old landline number so I wouldn't have gotten it anyway. Hope I got that part straightened out.
But I'm still pissed that I can't use cash.
I almost never use cash.

Many years ago when the kids were still home, there could be a lot going on with spending money. I think we used a Citibank card at that time. It got where the card would be declined often and you would need to call. I could be out of town for business using the card with the wife and kids back home using the card. I called the cc company once and they were concerned since the card was used in Charleston and used back home to purchase fuel twice in one day. They wondered how you could need fuel twice in one day. I explained the concept of multiple vehicles and multiple users and that gasoline and diesel purchases will be separate transactions and expressed some frustration.

Here is what I am sharing. They said that they could change the sensitivity setting on their fraud detection software for the account. After that, no more issues. The cc user is mostly protected from fraud, not nearly so much the merchant. And the cc company bears most of the cost of fraud. (so ultimately spread out to everyone). They need to be cautious to protect themselves. Even though they will always tell the customer that their policies are for your protection.

People not accepting cash is understandable for some things - like a rental car. Pick up your car, pay a couple hundred dollars and drive away in a $30,000 car. Possibility of damage or theft makes this difficult for the rental company.

I have people coming in asking if we take cash, I've even had people ask if we'll take dollar bills. We do and haven't had any problems.

May I ask why you don't use cash?
If I lose a wad of cash it is lost. If I lose a credit card, nothing is lost. I make a call and everything is good.

Using a credit card gives me an opportunity to dispute a charge if a product or service fails to deliver as promised.

Some warranties are made longer by paying with a card.

It keeps my wallet thinner.

I get 1 to 3% back on my purchase. It adds up

Cash seems cumbersome.

I am in no way anti cash, and do not hope for a cashless society. I have to make an effort to carry cash. The cc is always with me.

Latest posts