World Beef Expo

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
If you've showed there... please tell me everything you can about it. I'm going to be showing there in Sept. and am wanting an insider's view of tie outs, stalls, wash racks, trailer parking, security, hotels close-by, etc. Thanks!

Well it is a nice facility. Has gotten to be a smaller event each year for the past 3 and they keep increasing the entry fees...not as many breeds or vendors show up. We stayed at the Best Western Woodsview for many years and have also stayed at the Days Inn.

CKC... I read online that you tie your cattle to your trailer and provide your own bedding... so is it safe to say that your tie-outs are just with "whoever happens to arrive the same time you do?". I saw some pictures (also online) that looked like they had seperate trailer parking so I'm a little confused by this... Is the "tying to your trailer" maybe something new this year? I like having our breed's tie-outs together as it helps us keep an eye on each other's cattle...

Wisteria Farms":1tm86dkq said:
CKC... I read online that you tie your cattle to your trailer and provide your own bedding... so is it safe to say that your tie-outs are just with "whoever happens to arrive the same time you do?". I saw some pictures (also online) that looked like they had seperate trailer parking so I'm a little confused by this... Is the "tying to your trailer" maybe something new this year? I like having our breed's tie-outs together as it helps us keep an eye on each other's cattle...
We don't tie out, Piedmontese are shown body clipped, we don't have to "keep em cold" so they are in the barn full time. The trailer parking has changed a few times over the years, but last couple it is in a separate area, tieouts have been moved around a bit too. But honestly I haven't paid much attention to where the tie outs are. It is a real nice place, really sad to see it not have it's full potential realized. The first year we attended (2001) it was a huge event with a building full of vendors plus all the outside vendor displays, had a really big cattleman's dinner/reception type deal, and all the barns were full! Now they are lucky to fill the Dairy barn and the barn on the hill, both still had plenty of room in them last year.
Also you need to be aware that they do not let you check out until after the "Supreme Drive" event on Saturday night. Used to make you stay till Sunday afternoon! You have to ask for early release. So if you want to leave Saturday night you can or early on Sunday I think before 8:00 am.

Thanks... and as far as tieing out... we stayed in the barn in Ohio. The first night we tied out but there was a lot of partying going on near our tie out so I chose the next two nights to keep them in the barn. Took a little more cleanup the next morning (I probably went through more bedding) but I feel better keeping them in. We stalled next to the Pieds and I noticed they stayed in (which is why I did it after the first night). Our breed is not a "hair breed" either... while we don't body clip, we don't do coolers and such so when they slick off for summer, that's the way we show! Actually I'd love to show them WET!! Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that the show has declined...

As for check out... I read on the site that you can check out Saturday at 6pm. If you want to check out any earlier you have to show proof (entry fee receipt) that you're headed to another show... they won't let you check out early "just because". Atleast in Ohio we checked out at noon and was able to get on the road and get home by about 11pm... I think our Illinois Beef Expo is pretty nice but I'd heard on an earlier post that you HAVE to be from Illinois to show there.. so that rules it out for holding one of our National shows there.

6:00 pm Saturday check out is new!!!! We have had to wait til after the Supreme drive was over with to get out previously. That is good, there were a lot of complaints from breeders about that "rule". Of course if you have an animal that makes it into the "Supreme Drive" that is a good thing!!

World Beef Expo is a great event. The main reason entry fees keep increasing is that the cost of the fairgrounds keeps getting increased by State Fair Park. The show used to have better funding but that has gone away so they have to pay major amounts of money to rent the grounds. The tie outs change was in order to save money so they don't have as much cleanup to do. The fairgrounds are in great shape. If you are good about where you plugin at you shouldn't need a generator but should bring one in case. I like the Country Inn and Suites at Brookfield since it has a Outback and Champs sports bar attached.

Latest posts