?? Working w/ big, heavy pipe and sucker-rod panels ??

Help Support CattleToday:

novatech":7srnxlo2 said:
dun":7srnxlo2 said:
The hardest part is figuring out what kind of hangers you'll use to connect everything to the ties. Years ago I used PSP and tressil ties ot build some working pens. I used 8 inch long 1/2 diameter spikes to mount them. The back plate idea would work but it doesn;t have to be with square tubing, round wuld work as well and probably cost less.
I agree on the post to post. Hanging off the sucker rod seems weak. A piece of flat plate would work with a couple of holes burned for bolts. (Tressel plates are kind of hard to find theses day as the RR recycles all their own steel)
I can't see the square tubing either. Kind of goes back to trying to but a square peg in a round hole.
RR ties sometimes last a long time, sometimes not. It depends on how good they are when you put them in. If they are already split I wouldn't waste the time digging the hole. If they are not and still have plenty of shiney creosote in them then they should last a while. You can usually tell by the weight. If 2 people can easly pick them up they don't have much life left. Secondly if they are real old you will have to use throw bolts not lag bolts. If that is the case calculate the price of the bolts, mounting brackets and labor before you deside agaist using pipe posts.

Novatech -- The RR ties are in real good shape. They aren't split, 2 guys cannot easily carry one, and they shiney black. I'm pretty sure they will outlast us Baby Boomers.

Kathie in Thorp":9r43t5qj said:
Novatech -- The RR ties are in real good shape. They aren't split, 2 guys cannot easily carry one, and they shiney black. I'm pretty sure they will outlast us Baby Boomers.

Until you get a fire. I thought I was done for life once too. :)

I would butt weld that sucker rod and be done with it. No sleeving involved.

You could run a vertical plate across it where those ties are and lag them to the ties.

I would set the posts on the outside, weld the sections together (with a sleeve covering the weld) and then weld a plate with holes to secure the fence to the post. Ideally set the posts so that they would add strength to the welded joints should an animal hit it.

How far apart are you going to set your posts?

I hope that this makes sense.

chippie":b1rwp2pw said:
I would set the posts on the outside, weld the sections together (with a sleeve covering the weld) and then weld a plate with holes to secure the fence to the post. Ideally set the posts so that they would add strength to the welded joints should an animal hit it.

How far apart are you going to set your posts?

I hope that this makes sense.
Why would you want to posts on the outside?

Why sleeves for that matter? The weld should be stronger than the original rod was. I do not understand "adding strength" to something that should be stronger than the original.

dun":2gs73lgv said:

We set our posts on the outside of the fence so in case an animal leans or pushes against it, it will support the boards, wire or panel so that they will not pop off. The animal is essentially pushing it against the post, not the staple, nail or weld (if it is welded to a pipe post).

like this

xm1pn5.jpg

Chippie that kind of goes against the legal definitions in Texas. Wire on inside and wire on the outside means two different things as far as owner and tresspassing.

Wire goes on the property line. Fence posts go on your property. You own the fence, posting ("posted") rights and control of said fence.

Use pole barn nails. Use good welding techniques. Completely wrap the T-Post clips - etc etc.

I do put electric wire on the interior at times.

chippie":3hda34us said:
dun":3hda34us said:

We set our posts on the outside of the fence so in case an animal leans or pushes against it, it will support the boards, wire or panel so that they will not pop off. The animal is essentially pushing it against the post, not the staple, nail or weld (if it is welded to a pipe post).

like this

xm1pn5.jpg
Brain FART. I read that as inside and even the mental picture was on the inside. Lay it to oldtimers disease.

backhoeboogie":1xsgi5ar said:
Chippie that kind of goes against the legal definitions in Texas. Wire on inside and wire on the outside means two different things as far as owner and tresspassing.

Wire goes on the property line. Fence posts go on your property. You own the fence, posting ("posted") rights and control of said fence.

Use pole barn nails. Use good welding techniques. Completely wrap the T-Post clips - etc etc.

I do put electric wire on the interior at times.

I've been talking about working pens since the beginning, but maybe I didn't make that clear. I'm not using these monster panels for acres of fencing or for perimeter fencing -- only for working/sorting pens, alley, and similar in a "handling" set up. And my thoughts, also, were panels to the inside/posts to the outside for the reasons Chippie said.