Working Pen

Help Support CattleToday:

jwggriff

Reaction score
I have 13 head of Texas Longhorn Cattle. Bull/Cows/5 calves. I do not have a working pen yet and need to build one. Can anyone give me some ballpark measurements on the size of a pen needed to work this number of cattle. I was thinking of using a medina gate to work them once inside the pen. With the pen and alleyway is there a good diagram with measurements?
Any assistance would be appreciated.

We are raising Longhorns also, and we have a 60'x60' steel pen, with a 9' alley that runs up one side into a 28"wide chute with a headgate. In the 9' wide alley, I built a medina hinge setup to work the big cattle.

Below are a couple of pictures of the medina hinge. More can be found at http://grangercattleco.com/medinahinge.html

medinahinge2.jpg

medinahinge4.jpg

nap":mymj21vn said:
How do you get the horned animals into a 28 inch alley? Just curious.

I don't normally run animals older than 1 year old down the small chute with a headgate; if not pushed too hard they can weave their horns thru some pretty tight places. The headgate works OK for stuff with around 30" or less of horn.

In the first picture above, when loading large animals, they can go to the right onto the trailer, instead of down the chute.

Bobcat:

Will the medina gate handle small calves as well? I really appreciate the post and information.

I like the pins but that looks like the alley of death with those 4x4 squares. :(

I know several people who have that same set up but put a guitine gate on the right side so when the cattle get side ways they go straight into a long chute to be worked. Big bulls get pinched like the longhorns to do what ever and get sent down the big alley. Keep from having to send them down a chute.

hi, to all..!!
Brute 23.....Very cool, I have just the place for something like that!!
thanks a lot.....
god bless,

regards,

Brute 23":1qb69p79 said:
I like the pins but that looks like the alley of death with those 4x4 squares. :(

I know several people who have that same set up but put a guitine gate on the right side so when the cattle get side ways they go straight into a long chute to be worked. Big bulls get pinched like the longhorns to do what ever and get sent down the big alley. Keep from having to send them down a chute.

What do you mean by alley of death?

Brute 23":10qc7vqg said:
You can't get your foot in the 4" squares to climb out if need be. I prefer the 6" square pannels because you can climb them with out any problems, they hold up just as well, and they are cheaper
I have built several working pens for people and also at sale barns. I like the 6" sq just as well also. Pluse you can buy a bull panel in the 6" sq. that is real good it cost more but is made more heavy.
I have also used alot of the 2" X 4" horse panel but they are real hard to climb , almost impossible, but I put my pipe on the inside so I hava a foot hold if I need it pluse the pipe takes the presure rather than the panels just saves them from getting bent up as bad.
good luck

Brute 23":2dg17au1 said:
You can't get your foot in the 4" squares to climb out if need be. I prefer the 6" square pannels because you can climb them with out any problems, they hold up just as well, and they are cheaper.

Understood. Thanks

Latest posts