Working pen (small) 10 head

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
So I bought me a head gate yesterday Priefert got for 250 bucks Little older but still in good condition got a steal on it. Now I need advice on a small design for a working pen I have corral panels about 9 that I have and want to use those if possible I have a barn that I could possibly could use as well too but just need an outline on what you guys use nothing fancy just a basic setup to be safe for loading and doctoring when needed.

fwiw as long as your not raising 2500# animals you can load out thru your head gate . 2 or 3 10x10 pens with at least 20' alley . and a gate in the alley pen to pinch them off. I use a head catch and the on one of the post it is mounted too I have a heavy duty gate mounted that will swing out if I need too and will swing in and latch to create a tight spot for calves . I can pinch a couple in this easy and work them thru the bars.

I have corral panels about 9 that I have and want to use those if possible

Nothing wrong with just a head gate but only 9 panels is going to be a bit of a stretch.

Here's Preifert's design which takes eleven 12' panels, 2 gates, and a headgate stand (which you can make yourself easily)

OS7_TOP.png

https://www.priefert.com/products/premi ... -head-gate

greybeard":2f5zsxbk said:

Nothing wrong with just a head gate but only 9 panels is going to be a bit of a stretch.

Here's Preifert's design which takes eleven 12' panels, 2 gates, and a headgate stand (which you can make yourself easily)

OS7_TOP.png

the set up you just showed is perfect the part that's closed would be open so they can go into the barn then get them connected to my barn where i run them into the big part then into the small part so it's exactly what i will do
Set up

greybeard":3mwbgoai said:

OS7_TOP.png

do you know what size the two gates are ?

Just my 2 cents, but be sure all of your panels and gates are heavy duty and designed for cattle work. It's worth the extra up-front cost. Don't buy cheap just because it costs less -- it will cost you more in the long run. I work with a vet and yesterday we were working about 20 head of cattle, 3-month-old calves to 9-year-old cows. That herd destroyed -- and I mean destroyed -- 3 gates, 2 panels, and the owners nearly got seriously hurt. Most of the panels and gates were lightweight that weren't meant to be used to sort cattle and run them into a chute. And use smart cattle handling techniques. Low stress movement and systems are strongly encouraged. Good luck with your herd!

also I use panels..they are 10' and weigh 150 lbs each..but I also have a post in the ground and them chained to it..i can move em or leave em..keeps a rank bull in also

greybeard":8mtja6rh said:

OS7_TOP.png

Problem with this...is catching in that small area, even for 10 head. A larger trap leading to that would be the ticket.

I built one similar to this and it works fine
Edit
Except I have a gate in the northwest corner on the pen that feeds the alley/chute to load out cattle

Bfields30":e2e3dtih said:
Would getting one welded be to expensive

Get your own welder. You'll never regret that.

Weld cattle panel to light steel frames to make your own panels and pin them together.

Right now you are focused on 10 head. We all understand that. Most of us started small and grew. You need to consider growth. That small 10 head pen may need enlarged soon. Design it so that you can add on or enlarge. If you are going to weld in fixed parameters, my advice would be NO. If you are going to build it flexible, welding is perfect.

backhoeboogie":pmr4qxm7 said:
Bfields30":pmr4qxm7 said:
Would getting one welded be to expensive

Get your own welder. You'll never regret that.

Weld cattle panel to light steel frames to make your own panels and pin them together.

Right now you are focused on 10 head. We all understand that. Most of us started small and grew. You need to consider growth. That small 10 head pen may need enlarged soon. Design it so that you can add on or enlarge. If you are going to weld in fixed parameters, my advice would be NO. If you are going to build it flexible, welding is perfect.
yeah I have a few now maybe I should think about one with about 20 head

If there is any chance you'll have more cattle in the future, make it larger. You could always put a large trap before the pen starts. Slowly feed you pen from the larger trap. Keeps the pressure off your panels.

When I built ours last Fall, I asked every person around us for advice. Looked at theirs, asked what they would change if they could do it over. Got a lot of good ideas, some I used, some I wish had've. Ended up getting volunteer help even.

Like building anything, go 30-50 percent larger than you think you need at the present time.

ClinchValley":26bva2v9 said:
If there is any chance you'll have more cattle in the future, make it larger. You could always put a large trap before the pen starts. Slowly feed you pen from the larger trap. Keeps the pressure off your panels.

When I built ours last Fall, I asked every person around us for advice. Looked at theirs, asked what they would change if they could do it over. Got a lot of good ideas, some I used, some I wish had've. Ended up getting volunteer help even.

Like building anything, go 30-50 percent larger than you think you need at the present time.
Thank you I'll def make it a bigger size of what I think I'll eventually have

My working pens themselves would handle around 30. My alley would hold 200 although I never had that many. The alley was at the end of a fenced road. Each time I moved cows to a new pasture, they went down that roadway and thru the alley. There were medina hinge gates all in the alley. You could trap and sort anything.

So if you get your working pens right, you can always add a good strong alley later. A "bud box" is simply a new term they use for old school medina gates except it is only a single gate versus a trap set up you get with a medina.

You can google medina hinge and get some good info. In the old days before they had squeeze chutes lots of folks used medinas. They still use that concept for bulls at rodeos.

backhoeboogie":ja5hoea9 said:
My working pens themselves would handle around 30. My alley would hold 200 although I never had that many. The alley was at the end of a fenced road. Each time I moved cows to a new pasture, they went down that roadway and thru the alley. There were medina hinge gates all in the alley. You could trap and sort anything.

So if you get your working pens right, you can always add a good strong alley later. A "bud box" is simply a new term they use for old school medina gates except it is only a single gate versus a trap set up you get with a medina.

You can google medina hinge and get some good info. In the old days before they had squeeze chutes lots of folks used medinas. They still use that concept for bulls at rodeos.
how high would you say it should be gotta couple Braford heifers and Brahman heifers coming in soon reason I'm building it so I can put them in there before I let them loose on my place.

Bfields30":48tztac2 said:
how high would you say it should be gotta couple Braford heifers and Brahman heifers coming in soon reason I'm building it so I can put them in there before I let them loose on my place.

6 foot.

I agree with JMJ . 6 foot should be good for anything. I had 5 foot utility panels welded on drill stem and two sucker rods 5 inches apart above the panels. That put me at 5 foot 10 inches. I had char/brimmer F1's and lots of brangus. Existing cows weren't an issue but when you bring in new bloodlines, they tend to try the facility. All they really want to do is go home but they don't know where home is. A few days to settle always helps.

Latest posts