Working pen designing

Help Support CattleToday:

smoothmule

Reaction score
We have a 70 by 100 lot in front of the barn that I plan to put a working pen in. We only have a few cows but I would like to avoid having to load them up to take them all to my sons to be worked.

I would like a basic design inside the larger lot to just run them through for basics like shots etc. but also I plan to have a squeeze chute set up so I can do AI later.

The 70 by 100 pen is welded pipe rail, 5 foot on the backside, a little less on the front by the yard. I figure on using the backside of the pen to attach to. We generally have 6-8 cows with calves to work. And a good welder/fence guy here to make whatever I want done but he's not designed one of these before.

Question- better to design and build? Or just buy a set up?

Thanks

Whatever you do, do a temp setup first and work them through. Then after you improve it, and you most likely will, run them through again. Keep doing that till you come up with something that you can;t figure out how to do better. Then make it permanent

Sometimes, I think there should be a section dedicated only to working pen threads..or at least a sticky admin can move em all to. I think every one of us has started one at some time or another.

Buying a sweep tub and alley is probably worth doing. The rest you'll want to play around with some.

Remember - the cows need to get used to the setup. Just because it's awkward at first doesn't mean your design is bad.

I too have a small operation and the ultra-small contraption I use to catch/vaccinate simply consists of a squeeze chute, a 12ft alley, and a semi-circular sweep. All these are Preifert which are fastened together with chains to allow reconfiguration as needed. Works for me! :D

dun":2la7487p said:
Whatever you do, do a temp setup first and work them through. Then after you improve it, and you most likely will, run them through again. Keep doing that till you come up with something that you can;t figure out how to do better. Then make it permanent

This is the best advice given on anything this month.

You want to lay it out on paper and really think over it is a safe pen.
Lay it out with twine look long and hard before you put down a permanent pen.
If you don't and build something you will end up rebuilding it three times like I did till I got it right for a one man operation.

I recently invited county extension agent to come out to give me some ideas on sorting working and loading cattle. We already do this but I was looking to fine tune som trouble areas. He gave me two different options both being little to no cost. Cement for posts was it. I am recovering from health issues but as soon as possible I'll be fixing it up.

another vote for a tub / alley

you can getg a tarter for like 2500 fully sheeted.. just sell if it you want to upgrade to something heavier and you'll get all your money back usually.

Latest posts