Working Pen Design

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, I'll be darned. Been messing with cattle for 40 years, and had never heard of or seen a setup like that.

Thanks

Jim62":1dh5rigu said:
Well, I'll be darned. Been messing with cattle for 40 years, and had never heard of or seen a setup like that.

Thanks

Jim they have been referred to as all sorts of things. Grandma called them squeeze gaps/gates.

Before you spend a lot of nickels on tube steel and panels for something like current portable set-up I use, you look long and hard at designs out there. Most of my gates are hung on 1 inch round stock with 1 inch pipe welded to the gates. You don't want to build things too heavy, if they are portable, but not too light either.

After all that planning and plotting, I still made a couple of blunders. Got it all fixed tho.

LuckyLegs is thinking, plotting, and asking the right questions. I wish him all the luck and hope he only does things one time.

Backhoe - I'd like to hear more about your portable setup. Have you detailed it in another link? Thanks

Arkieman":2i2nhnqc said:
Backhoe - I'd like to hear more about your portable setup. Have you detailed it in another link? Thanks

All the old pics were deleted from this site somehow so the old posts are not much good. I can get pics again if I can't find the old ones on disc somehwere. I'd rather get pics when the whole thing is on the flat bed and then set up. Right now only the bare neccessity is together. Pics would be better than verbal descriptions.

backhoeboogie":3kpcy67r said:
Arkieman":3kpcy67r said:

All the old pics were deleted from this site somehow so the old posts are not much good. I can get pics again if I can't find the old ones on disc somehwere. I'd rather get pics when the whole thing is on the flat bed and then set up. Right now only the bare neccessity is together. Pics would be better than verbal descriptions.

Put me on some kind of list to see those if you find them. Thanks. :tiphat:

Can't seem to find the pics I am looking for. But I did find some from when I hauled part of the pen down to the upper flood plain to hold some feral shoats and pigs I had trapped.

http://cattletoday.com/photos/data/500/ ... e_0042.jpg

The vertical posts are 3 inch light gauge tube steel. The horizontal members are 3 inch by 1 1/2 inch tube steel, top, bottom and mid rail. Each panel is 20 foot with 20 by 5 foot sheep panel (4 by 4 inch grid) welded to it. On the end of the panel, top and bottom, there are 2 inch pieces of tube steel about 10 inches long, staggered in hiegth for pinning. I drop pipe pins in to pin them together.

Anyway, that is the portable panel design. You might notice small pieces of scrap 3 by 3 welded to the top of each panel. Those work for lifting eyes that you can chain to the bucket if you are going it alone loading and unloading from the trailer.

I'll get pics of the chute, gates, medina, cut gate and everything else and post it.

How about these 2 designs, I have made a few changes

Version 2 with Chute
Pen_v2.jpg

Medina Design
Pen_Medina.jpg

In the first pic, you can add on to the left if you are running more head some day.

In the lower pic with the medina, you can add on at the top or to the right.

For as few head as you are running, you are fine. You can always bait them in. You have the option for adding on if you own the real estate surrounding the pen you designed.

Remember, practically everyone started with a few and got bigger.

I think you'll like that medina.