Working Pen Design

Help Support CattleToday:

LuckyLegs

Reaction score
WORKING_PEN.jpg

I will be running no more than 5 or 6 cattle (max due to available property size). This is what I have designed up so far. I will likely mount a head catch at the end of the chute, and the option to route the cattle back into the pen after they go through the chute. The bottom horizontal line is the edge of the lean-to on the barn, so the 20' dimension would actually be 30' in depth, with the last 10' covered. Is the 28" chute width about right?

Please provide your feedback, as I would like to make changes while it is still in the design stage.
[/url]

I would go to 6 foot, but I work a few more than 5 or 6 and some of them are rank. Still, even a gentle one can be a jumper. Had some pet longhorns that would jump INTO a pen. :shock:

Not sure about your chute, which way would they be traveling? is the lean to at the bottom of your illustration then?

How many gates total - you have two labeled but it looks like there are two more in the upper right area?

You're definately going to need a stop gate (guilotine etc) at the mouth of the chute. It will probably work for that few head.

If it were me I'd square off the pen at gate number 2 at both locales. Make gate number 2 a full length to the rear corner and use it as a medina gate, in conjnuction with the stop gate. Length to match gate 1 and to reach the back corner. You could hold two head in it while you were working one in the chute. You should be capable of loading into a trailer out of that chute as well. Don't know the exact positition in reference to the building.

I take it that they will enter through gate 1? From that point they either travel into the crowding pen or go into the holding area? From the holding area you work them back into the crowding pen and into the chute trying to sort them at the same time? I would agree that you should install a gate, slide horizontal or vertical, at the entry to the chute. Or you could just stick a pipe behind them. The only other thing I would recommend is a side gate on the chute that would allow you to cut an animal out if needed. The holding area need not be to large. Yours looks about right for the number of cows.
Good job.

novatech":xrjjudg5 said:
The only other thing I would recommend is a side gate on the chute that would allow you to cut an animal out if needed.

Good job.

He's also going to need a side gate, or some type of access, for castrating or palpating, once they are in the head gate. At first, that is what I thought you were about to say Nova. Either way, a side gate is needed.

The end and chute itself is not much different than the way mine is configured, when it is set up for working. I have an 8 by 8 pen on the end of the chute with two gates for loading and one gate for recirculating them back into the pen. When I have to put the nurse cow in the head gate, I do it in reverse, in the 8 by 8 pen, which allows access for the orphans.

backhoeboogie":3a1tn0al said:
novatech":3a1tn0al said:
The only other thing I would recommend is a side gate on the chute that would allow you to cut an animal out if needed.

Good job.

He's also going to need a side gate, or some type of access, for castrating or palpating, once they are in the head gate. At first, that is what I thought you were about to say Nova. Either way, a side gate is needed.

The end and chute itself is not much different than the way mine is configured, when it is set up for working. I have an 8 by 8 pen on the end of the chute with two gates for loading and one gate for recirculating them back into the pen. When I have to put the nurse cow in the head gate, I do it in reverse, in the 8 by 8 pen, which allows access for the orphans.
You can use that cut gate behind the last part of the chute for entry behind the cow but it is bass acwards. I have gates on both sides of mine just behind the squeeze. The one one the inside lets cattle back into the holding pen. the one on the outside is for me, or to let cattle back to the pasture. I don,t beleive you can have enough gates.

For just a few head, this is a pretty well thought out deal. I agree that you can't have too many gates but then again each gate is an added expense and you aren't going to be working a bunch of cattle so you need to watch your costs.

Question I have is why would a cow want to go in here. For shade - yes, some range cubes - sometimes. I would also suggest - if possible - to put your water tank under the lean-to. This way the cows will create regular movement into the pen. You can also hang a back rub at gate 1 for bug control. If you want to work them, just shut the gate and come back a few hours later and they will be waiting on you and file in. From there, it seems simple enough to cut one or two out of here with gate #2.

You don't illustrate, but what is the width of the gates. I would suggest 10 foot so as to allow a tractor to go inside the pen area if the need arises.

Will you be building it totally out of wood? If so, and you need some ideas fot some heavy home-made hinges I'll be glad to furnish you some pics of some really nice hinges I make for gates. They are cheap and strong.

One last suggestion would be to double up on the posts in the chute and put some stringers across the top so as to tie the posts together to prevent the girls from bending the posts out. Simple board between the two posts works fine.

Personally I don't get it. Its over complicated for no apparent reason,,, especially for 5 or 6 head.

There are very simple pins that are very functional.

AND, there is no need to sweep into and open area. Defeats the purpose.

I would look into adding a holding trap. Some thing you can feed, have mineral, water, and your lean-to in.
That away when it comes time to pin cows you can just close the gate behind them and pus them right into working part of the pins.
Plus when you get done vaccinating and stuff you can cut them back into the holding pin instead of just out into the pasture. It comes in handy, especially if you miss one in the head gate. I personally believe this helps them calm down after being worked.

IF you must keep that design,,, extend your chute back to the same line as where gate 2 hinges. Then when gate 2 closes it seals off the chute.

Brute 23":3bt3zcfs said:
Personally I don't get it. Its over complicated for no apparent reason,,, especially for 5 or 6 head.

Maybe so. But many started, or started over, with only a few head in mind. Most are significantly larger eventually.

My pens are now portable and adaptable. Easy to shrink and easy to enlarge.

I like the Medina gate concept - had never heard or seen it until today. Looks, like I coudl use it instead of a head catch, plus it squeezes. I will play around with the design some more. Would it be possible to load a trailer from the medina gate as well? Seems like if the cows head was facing away from the hinge, I could have a small gate on the alley wall where the 2 median gates squeeze together, and taking a little pressure off the cow with the moveable medina gate, he can go through the small alley wall gate into the trailer. I will draw it up so it is not too confusing!

LuckyLegs":2sbp1xju said:
Would it be possible to load a trailer from the medina gate as well?

Absolutely you can load from a medina. And yes the way mine is designed I can squeeze. I would still go with a head gate if I were you since it is more secure and suitable for much more. The medina plus head gate just gives you more options. If you don't yet have a head gate, you can get by with the medina until you find a bargain on one. Maybe you'll get a head gate for $100 used a year from now. Keep your eye out so to speak.

What is a "medina gate"? Google seems to think it's something to do with pictures of Morocco. Never heard of it myself.......

I just got finished building a holding/working pen that will hold about just under a hundred head. So far each time I have used it I have found something I need to add or to change; so no matter what you do you will still modify it again and again. I would increase the length of the the actual chute by at least 10-12 feet My cattle seem to work better if they have another one in front of them, kind of calms them down I guess. As far as gates...I think I will be building them until I die. After I thought I was done I have added one gate and probably going to build another this weekend. We build a small walk in gate right behind the squeeze. It comes in VERY handy. The 28 inch wide chute is probably just right. I started out at 28" and by the time the stupid post were set I was up to 30". Other lessons learned (duh) is a 10 foot gate is only 9'6" so make sure you measure your gates BEFORE building the pen.. Round post are also cheaper than square post unless you have plenty of money. Good luck :D

Am I correct that the cattle are going to come in gate 1?

Why would you have cattle enter a sweep gate,, then sweep them in to an open area?

What am I missing? Kind of counter-productive don't you think.

Maybe walk us through what you are thinking. From where you are going to catch them to how to haul out and how to vacc. them.

What is a medina gate. I googled and came up with a lot of stuff about the middle east. Anyone have a link? I learn something every day.

Avalon":3fcz9qam said:
What is a medina gate. I googled and came up with a lot of stuff about the middle east. Anyone have a link? I learn something every day.

TXBobcat has some really good pics of the one he uses. He has about a 10 foot alley with a two gate system. His pics showed the whole process. If you go to Running Arrow Bill's website, he has some pics of just the gate.

A medina gate works sort of like a cut gate if you know what that is. You let an animal into an area, and then sandwhich it in with gates. Once it is in those gates, it is isolated. LH owners all use them. Check the LH web sites. Most old school cattle people use them (that's all Grandaddy ever had on his place for all those cows). I like them and it sure makes working wild cattle simple. I have a medina set up a couple of ways, including routing into the chute.

Latest posts