Working on the Millet

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
This is my Siberian Hay millet crop.
My old concocted machinery is getting it done.

P1010009-6.jpg

P1010011-6.jpg

Cut this portion on Monday, needs another good drying day.
P1010015-2.jpg

Getting 7 5X5's to the acre so far.
P1010013-4.jpg

It's taking 4 days to dry. Pretty decent weather, mostly sunny. Could use a little more breeze and warmer. Mid 70's is a bit cool for drying but nice for me. Had a little sprinkle during the night and 20% chance of rain today. Made 60 bales late yesterday and more today if the sun shines and rain misses.

When did you plant it? I put in some surgum-sudengrass Jul. 20th. Some of it's pretty thick , but a lot of it looks pretty sick. Hope to get something out of it, we should still have a few more weeks without frost. Now if we could get some more sunshine it would be great.

Planted it 5th of June. Seed mixed with fertilizer and lime broadcasted with the spreader. Dragged under.
We have not had a lot of rain, however timely rains.
No rain yesterday, but cloudy, damp and high temp of 62. No bales, we need sunshine.

bigbull338":1sstruyo said:
your going to have plenty of winter feed when your done.

Coming off three years of severe drought this is nice. When my hay supplier calls I can tell him "not this year" :D :D :D :D

Seems like it's been raining here everyday since I planted it, and were only 70 miles apart. It's funny how a little bit of distance can change the weather so much. I've been working on the north shore of Lake Superior and it's been sweatshirt weather the whole summer. Even when it was 90 around here it was 70 up there.

I needed good drying weather and we got it. Low humidity, sun and breeze. Got the stuff baled without rain damage and in perfect condition.
Ended up with 607 5X5's from about 88 acres. :D :D

mnmtranching":yx1xkz4r said:
I needed good drying weather and we got it. Low humidity, sun and breeze. Got the stuff baled without rain damage and in perfect condition.
Ended up with 607 5X5's from about 88 acres. :D :D
Sounds like you made a good choice. The corn is burning up just south of you...

Did you try to estimate cost per pound with the millet hay?

Latest posts