Working momma

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score

This is a 3-year old cow with her January heifer calf. The cow is SV Fre-Anna, she won Supreme as a calf, went back and won Supreme as a bred yearling, couldn't show as a working 2-yr old, but came back and has won Supreme in New Jersey, at Allegany County Fair, and again at Tioga County Fair. She will be in the NY All Supreme Winners show in a few weeks for the 3rd year. Won her class the other 2 years. We'll see what she does as a working momma.

The "full" brisket is undesirable to me, but she is just a super easy keeper. She does not have any tail head fat pockets, or anywhere else, just the brisket. Has carried that since she was a yearling. Difficult to appreciate her width and spring of rib. We plan to flush her after calving.

@BFE if you are referring to my comment about her brisket - no, I do not like the basketball brisket. That is just her. She is wintered with her siblings on hay only. Did not bring her in until about 2 weeks before our first show (New Jersey) - other than to shave her bald back in April. Obviously, brought the calf in and halter broke, turning out each night with her dam.
They are both clean fronted enough for me - and evidently the judges, LOL. No, they are not penciled neck (freaky fronted), but smooth shouldered and "clean enough". Hard to have all that power and not carry the thickness throughout. I rarely (almost never) have super penciled neck cattle in my breed without crossbreeding.
Calf has been winning her divisions also. Calf is earmarked to go into the Stars & Stripes Sale next May along with (hopefully) some embryos on the cow.

I don't agree with everything the show world is looking for, but no one asked me. You do a great job with breeding performance in as opposed to feeding. To get that performance, "sacrifices" have to be made lol.

LOL. Not sure what you mean. My cattle are top notch pedigree - but - they are all raised in a "real world" management. Cows get grass in the summer and hay in the winter. Replacements get 5# whole shell corn/hd/day from weaning to breeding, then they are turned out on grass.
Do my show string get pampered? Absolutely. Do they get 15# of feed a day? Absolutely NOT. They get grass at night and hay during the day - lots of good hay. They are fed 1 scoop of grain 2x day - that's 6# of grain a day. And the calves rarely are able to eat that much.
I agree - a lot of "show people" are extreme in their measures to win. I see them put huge feed pans in front of their cattle - AND THEY EAT IT! (that amazes me!). We rarely "fit" out cattle except for our really big shows.
I win with genetics. Plain and simple. Structurally sound, easy keeping cattle. Only been playing this game for 49 years - started showing when my daughter aged out, 30+ years ago.
What "sacrifices" do you see/think?

I win with genetics. Plain and simple. Structurally sound, easy keeping cattle. Only been playing this game for 49 years - started showing when my daughter aged out, 30+ years ago.
You show what can be accomplished with genetics and knowing how to breed good animals. Good genetics don't need tons of special grain and feed. The best cattle genetics (or any livestock genetics) should be able to be raised in an everyday grazing situation without a lot of extra supplements, and make good animals. Easy keepers will win out over others simply due to the high cost of specialty supplements.

Kudos to you on your breeding and feeding program!

We won the Supreme Cow/Calf in the All Breeds Supreme Show at NY State Fair. WooHoo.
We also had a yearling in the Supreme Show that one of our Juniors that we sponsor won with at his 4-H show. Also, another yearling that we sold won Supreme at their show, so she was in the show also.
This is a 1-day show. Back the trailer up to the side of the barn (open pole barn). All the Supremes are lined up in County Fair alphabetically. Have 5 judges - point system. After show you go home. We were dragging butt, got home around 7pm. Went out to check the herd, found an unexpected calving. Set of twin HEIFERS, 1 black, 1 red, out of a 15 year old cow. Both up and sucked. Great day!!! Red weighed 80# and black one was 76#

LOL. Not sure what you mean. My cattle are top notch pedigree - but - they are all raised in a "real world" management. Cows get grass in the summer and hay in the winter. Replacements get 5# whole shell corn/hd/day from weaning to breeding, then they are turned out on grass.
Do my show string get pampered? Absolutely. Do they get 15# of feed a day? Absolutely NOT. They get grass at night and hay during the day - lots of good hay. They are fed 1 scoop of grain 2x day - that's 6# of grain a day. And the calves rarely are able to eat that much.
I agree - a lot of "show people" are extreme in their measures to win. I see them put huge feed pans in front of their cattle - AND THEY EAT IT! (that amazes me!). We rarely "fit" out cattle except for our really big shows.
What "sacrifices" do you see/think?
I wasn't referring to your program. I've seen where you describe your feed program before, your cattle are bred right. I should've said many show people stuff them so full, they ruin udders, bulls can't work under commercial conditions, etc.

@BFE I totally agree. One of the biggest shows around me (4 hours) has gotten so lax in their managing cheating, I just don't go.
Because of 1 breeder a few years ago, our NY SUPREME show announces that if you put your animal back on your trailer after arriving, you might as well just drive home, you are disqualified.

Congrats on some very super nice animals and their(YOUR) win. It is a great accomplishment to do that, and do it consistently, with cattle that are also PRACTICAL.....

Nice surprise to come home to. So glad that it is twin heifers rather than one of each... will the cow be able to raise them both? They have a couple months to grow before you get too cold too....bet that cow gets just a little extra TLC at that age.... she would be entitled here....

Thanks Jan - Her weight is decent (age & twins considering!!). Right now, we have her separated and she is getting a scoop of corn am & pm. I only have 6 fall calvers this year, and they will be separate from the rest of the herd all winter. (I always keep them separate). They get the best baleage all winter. She has plenty of milk.
Leaving in a few hours heading to the NY State Fair for our breed show. Might get a pic of mom later.

Latest posts