Working Famlies and Cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
With fuel prices going as high as they are how are people commuting to work?
We budget for one tank in the truck a month and two in the SUV we go to town twice a week.
This has to be really taking a bite out of the family buget and that money has to be spent on fuel is not getting spent on something.
The price of steaks in the store are outrageous and our prices haven't increased.

The Mrs. and I are debt free and still live like the depression era parents that raised us. We grow most of our vegtables and eat a lot out of the woods.

How in the world is the average couple with a couple of kids and a housenote making it and what are they giving up?

CB, this gloomy weather is bringing you down. Next week when it's warm and sunny and even the old cows are acting like calves, you will see the bright side...(and buy goats.)

CB, I don't think the average family is giving up anything yet. I say this cause I think many of them are putting it on plastic as is verified by what the average american owes on these cards. As you know, this cannot continue and there will be a reckoning shortly. I heard a term the other day I haven't heard in a long time and that is Stagflation. Though many economists said this phenomena is impossible it occured 30 years ago and I think it is happening now. It scares me. Thankfully, as of Monday, I became debt free with the exception of my house payment that I could pay off today if I wanted to. I have been ridiculed for practicing deferred gratification and have been accused of being a workaholic but now it seems I made the right decisions in life. What scares me the most is I don't think our economy is as resillient as it used to be as we do not have the industry we used to. I'm afraid we are in for some hard times ahead. To many people pushing paper and not enough pushing goods out the doors of factories and such.

We live debt free too, but then again we don't have kids. We were just talking about how we can't afford them. Guess that's one thing we've given up. Other things are new cars, flat screen TV's, toys like boats and RV's. We just don't have them. I'd like to refloor the house and get new appliances, stuff like that we'll do without as long as we can. We're in our early 30's but we keep a garden, try to be self sufficient, and try to remember what our grandparents told us about the times they lived in before, because what if we live to see times like those ourselves? I don't know how other people do it either. To me, they're living right up on the edge.

Jogeephus":2h61znve said:
CB, I don't think the average family is giving up anything yet. I say this cause I think many of them are putting it on plastic as is verified by what the average american owes on these cards. As you know, this cannot continue and there will be a reckoning shortly. I heard a term the other day I haven't heard in a long time and that is Stagflation. Though many economists said this phenomena is impossible it occured 30 years ago and I think it is happening now. It scares me. Thankfully, as of Monday, I became debt free with the exception of my house payment that I could pay off today if I wanted to. I have been ridiculed for practicing deferred gratification and have been accused of being a workaholic but now it seems I made the right decisions in life. What scares me the most is I don't think our economy is as resillient as it used to be as we do not have the industry we used to. I'm afraid we are in for some hard times ahead. To many people pushing paper and not enough pushing goods out the doors of factories and such.

I read somewhere the other day the average American family was carrying something like 25,000 in credit card debt. That means some poor smuck has 50,000 cause I don't have any. I agree with you about the industry

Caustic Burno":23tsv25b said:
Jogeephus":23tsv25b said:

I read somewhere the other day the average American family was carrying something like 25,000 in credit card debt. That means some poor smuck has 50,000 cause I don't have any. I agree with you about the industry

Make that 75k cause they have mine too. I can;t imaginr having a credit card dept that's higher then what we paid for our first house.

If fuel prices were a problem you wouldnt be driving that SUV. As for myself, im in college and looking to buy myself a motorcycle to get around. Alot easier on the wallet.

dun":93wixtre said:
Caustic Burno":93wixtre said:
Jogeephus":93wixtre said:

Make that 75k cause they have mine too. I can;t imaginr having a credit card dept that's higher then what we paid for our first house.
Raise it to 100,000. Hope I never have to go in debt. Been there and didn't like it. So I do understand that sometimes emergencies can mess up the best laid plans.
Saving some when you got it sure beats borrowing when you don't.
Talking to a cashier in a convenience store one night. That was her second job. She was also a deputy sheriff.
She said she had to work two job because of credit card debt. I asked what she bought to run up so much debt. She said jewelry. i was flabergasted. :roll:

A guy called tonight that wanted to buy my old Ranger truck. Told him it only got around 14-15 mpg. He said that's a lot better then the 8-9 he gets with his chevy diesel.

Ryder":2q57tww9 said:
Talking to a cashier in a convenience store one night. That was her second job. She was also a deputy sheriff.
She said she had to work two job because of credit card debt. I asked what she bought to run up so much debt. She said jewelry. i was flabergasted. :roll:

Knew a secretary that would get a new credit card with a higher limit at least once a year. She used the new one to pay off the old one and had at least 2 that were totally maxed out at all times. It had to run in the family because she learned that trick from her mother who did the same thing.
We put everything we can on a credit card and pay it off every motnh. I get a better accounting of where everything is spent then if I used cash or a check.

We have no credit cards, no credit card debt. 20 acres free and clear, rest and house on note. Truck payment besides. Thats it, not too bad.

Oldest girl told me tonight she needs to go shopping "soon", needs spiked shoes for track, and wants to look at prom dresses. Was asked to pick up onesies for grandbaby when I go (I don't mind doing that at all), youngest girl just informed me tonight she needs a uniform for color gaurds (marching band) as well as new shoes (for marching band). Youngest boy keeps me nickle and dimed buying pellets for gun. But, they are so worth it.

I don't know what we go without. It is -6 and we are warm; and our bellies are full. Might not have all we want, but have all we need.

Caustic Burno":1qbc42kn said:
With fuel prices going as high as they are how are people commuting to work?

What choice do they have? They have to put gas in the car to get to work.

How in the world is the average couple with a couple of kids and a housenote making it and what are they giving up?

According to what I've heard on the radio and tv, they are cutting back on personal spending, groceries, clothes, and quite a few other things as well.

dun":iz2ns6i8 said:
Ryder":iz2ns6i8 said:

Knew a secretary that would get a new credit card with a higher limit at least once a year. She used the new one to pay off the old one and had at least 2 that were totally maxed out at all times. It had to run in the family because she learned that trick from her mother who did the same thing.
We put everything we can on a credit card and pay it off every motnh. I get a better accounting of where everything is spent then if I used cash or a check.

Same here. Credit card is a real convenience handled properly and paid off monthly.
I have a realtive in hospital and am driving 130 mile per day. Buying a lot of gas. Credit cards is a lot faster than having to go in and pay with cash.
Card also is a security if you are ever caught off somewhere and might have to pay for something and not have enough cash with you.

They are cutting back on eating out, buying only the essentials, but as you all know the essentials have gone up too (groceries), heck everything has gone up. Got to go through all the bills you have and fine tooth them, insurance, etc.. discard what you absolutely do not need to pay for.

I think this crisis in our economy is affecting the middle class the worst, I have 2 kids that eat me out of house and home, my grocery bill has gone up considerable in the last year, add on all the other bills/debts, well its real tough right now for us, and I think alot of other families with kids and without.

Throw in the things that go wrong on a dairy farm, and I'd say its a recipe for stress.

I think this post has actually made me me worse! :devil2:

GMN":22kpk774 said:
They are cutting back on eating out, buying only the essentials, but as you all know the essentials have gone up too (groceries), heck everything has gone up. Got to go through all the bills you have and fine tooth them, insurance, etc.. discard what you absolutely do not need to pay for.

I think this crisis in our economy is affecting the middle class the worst, I have 2 kids that eat me out of house and home, my grocery bill has gone up considerable in the last year, add on all the other bills/debts, well its real tough right now for us, and I think alot of other families with kids and without.

Throw in the things that go wrong on a dairy farm, and I'd say its a recipe for stress.

I think this post has actually made me me worse! :devil2:

Oldest son has three kids involved in everykind of sport, FFA, or 4H. They live 16 miles from town they are constantly going somewhere to haul a kid or pick up one. I just don't see how thats not cutting hard in the family budget, I don't ask as it is none of my business.

GMN":27qyydpf said:

I agree with you about it affecting the middle class the worst as we make too much money to get an unearned tax credit or qualify for any free health care programs. We have to just pay as we go so to speak.

On a bright note, as long as there are families around the country like mine who drink 5 gallons of milk a week, you should be guaranteed an income with your dairy in the future. I have the solution to fix all of this but it is not politcally correct and I don't want to see the thread locked. ;-)

WASHINGTON (AP) - Home foreclosures soared to an all-time high in the final quarter of last year and are likely to keep on rising, underscoring the suffering of distressed homeowners and the growing danger the housing meltdown poses for the economy.

The Mortgage Bankers Association, in a quarterly snapshot of the mortgage market released Thursday, said the proportion of all mortgages nationwide that fell into foreclosure shot up to a record high of 0.83 percent in the October-to-December quarter. That surpassed the previous high of 0.78 percent set in the prior quarter.

"Clearly it's the worst it's been," chief association economist Doug Duncan said in an interview with The Associated Press.

More homeowners - at the same time - fell behind on their monthly payments.

The delinquency rate for all mortgages climbed to 5.82 percent in the fourth quarter. That was up from the 5.59 percent in the third quarter and was the highest since 1985. Payments are considered delinquent if they are 30 or more days past due.

Homeowners with tarnished credit who have subprime adjustable-rate loans were the hardest hit. Foreclosures and late payments for these borrowers also swelled to all-time highs in the fourth quarter.

The percentage of subprime adjustable-rate mortgages that entered the foreclosure process soared to a record of 5.29 percent in the fourth quarter. That was up from 4.72 percent in the prior quarter, which had marked the previous high. Late payments skyrocketed to a record high of 20.02 percent in the fourth quarter, up from 18.81 percent - the previous high - in the third quarter.

The association's survey covers almost 46 million home loans nationwide.

"Mortgage credit quality is deteriorating fast," said Mike Larson, a real-estate analyst at Weiss Research.

The worsening foreclosure and late payment figures come as fears grow that the country is teetering on the edge of a recession or in one already.

The wave of foreclosures threatens to deepen the already severely depressed housing market. The homes people are forced out of add to the big glut of unsold homes already on the market. That forces even more cutbacks by homebuilders, taking a big bite out of national economic activity. Harder-to-get credit, meanwhile, has thwarted would-be home buyers, aggravating problems in the housing market.

Homeowners with spotty credit histories or low incomes who took out higher-risk subprime adjustable-rate mortgages have suffered the most distress as the housing market went from boom to bust. Initially low interest rates that reset to much higher rates have clobbered these borrowers. With home values dragged down by the slump, many borrowers were left with mortgages that eclipsed the value of their homes.

"Declining home prices are clearly the driving factor behind foreclosures, but the reasons and magnitude of the declines differ from state to state," Duncan said.

In a separate report, Americans' percentage of equity in their homes has fallen below 50 percent for the first time on record since 1945, the Federal Reserve said.

Homeowners' percentage of equity slipped to a downwardly revised 49.6 percent in the second quarter of 2007, and declined further to 47.9 percent in the fourth quarter - the third straight quarter it was under 50 percent. That marks the first time homeowners' debt on their houses exceeds their equity since the Fed started tracking the data in 1945.

Even with relief efforts under way by industry and the government, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, earlier this week, warned that foreclosures and late payments on home mortgages are likely to rise "for a while longer."

The MBA's Duncan agreed. "We expect some increases in the next couple of quarters," he said. The economic slowdown, harder-to-get credit and lofty energy prices are adding to the strains, he said.

Against this backdrop, Bernanke called for additional relief and urged lenders to help distressed owners by lowering the amount of their loans. "This situation calls for a vigorous response," Bernanke said in a speech Tuesday.

Bernanke's recommendation for lenders to reduce the amount owed on troubled home loans goes beyond the position staked out by the Bush administration. The Fed chief, however, didn't go as far as to endorse some proposals embraced by Democrats on Capitol Hill.

Among the initiatives promoted by the administration is allowing some homeowners with certain subprime home loans to freeze their interest rate for five years.

California and Florida continued to represent a disproportionate share of the country's new foreclosures. The two states accounted for 30 percent of mortgages starting the foreclosure process, the association said. "In states like California, Florida, Nevada and Arizona, overbuilding of new homes created a surplus that will take some time to work through," Duncan said. That glut has pushed down house prices, he said.

The fallout afflicts neighborhoods, too.

"Foreclosures not only create personal and financial distress for individual homeowners but also can significantly hurt neighborhoods where foreclosures cluster," Bernanke said.

I have said it on here before and will say it again. When it really gets tough which is just around the corner we will have to post guards every day around the clock. It wontbe tools and things that they could garden with that they will be stealing. It will be our animals, money, and food pantries they will be robbing. Again get ready its coming.[/quote]

I remember my Dad talking about this years ago. He, of course lived and farmed before, during and after the Depression. He talked about the soup lines and people going hungry. But, he said that if that happened again, people wouldn't stand in soup lines. They would come out into the country, and attempt to take what you have. If you were not willing to shoot to keep your goods, you would lose them, because these people are not going to give up easily. Sadly, I think he was right. It's going to be a dangerous situation. People won't watch their families starve, and you won't give up what you worked all your life to aquire without a fight. I hope he and I are both wrong, but I don't think so.

All you gotta do is controll your wants and concetrate on your needs.
The only plastic we use here is a debit card. Sure I have some toys but payed cash for them and waited till I had it extra to get them. Like some one said on here before it's a want and want it now world.Just use the plastic and worry about it later.
Sure I could get plastic cards and charge it up but why would I want to do that when I worked hard all my life to have something and be debt free.
I don't have a whole lot but I don't need much.Actually i'm Rich,I am debt free,have a warm house and eat all I want, and enjoy the work of momma cows and calfs at someone elses expience.
And still good health. Just don't get any better than this.

Cal

Owe a bit on one card. Got the mortgage. Husband works 100 miles away and we maintain two households because the housing market is in the pits and I don't want to sell at the moment. Plus, I never know when he'll be transferred again and I don't want to move every year. Then there are the car payments. We still do okay. I try to stretch a tank over two weeks as I only have a ten minute drive to work. It takes some creative budgeting, though.

I find that the best way to save on food is not to take my husband with me to the grocery store. I swear, the stuff men want to buy...

I think it will get worse before it gets better. Times are pretty good around here, and there are a lot of jobs and wealth. But it gets a little harder every day. Food and fuel are what kills us. Especially fuel.

I am planting a bigger garden this year because 1) I want to put up more veggies and 2) It will give me something to do when I don't have the money for gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts