Working dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Windy Meadow

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for a dog to work my cattle with.. Heeler,Shepard collie I don't really care what breed as long it's good at what it does.. Id like a broke dog but Dk if I can afford one.. Jw if somebody has a old dog or something I can afford they can part with my cows are crazy but can be a pain to move at times with the calves.. I live in vt but will travel or ship.. I'm a rookie so be patient lol you can contact me at [email protected] or 802-349-6871..thanks

There are plenty of folks on here who know of reputable breeders of dogs like you're looking for Windy Meadows.

I'm sure somebody will come along with some advice.

Cross7 comes to mind. He sent me some dog info once via PM so you might shoot him a private message and ask.

Good luck and :welcome:

Windy Meadow":dso1snuk said:
Hi I'm looking for a dog to work my cattle with.. Heeler,Shepard collie I don't really care what breed as long it's good at what it does.. Id like a broke dog but Dk if I can afford one.. Jw if somebody has a old dog or something I can afford they can part with my cows are crazy but can be a pain to move at times with the calves.. I live in vt but will travel or ship.. I'm a rookie so be patient lol you can contact me at [email protected] or 802-349-6871..thanks

You have to be as good as the dog as well.
Knowing how to work cows with a cow dog is invaluable.
A bad dog or bad instructions can make bad a lot worse.
A major breeder here won't sell a trained dog to someone here until he sees you can properly work
the dog. If not he trains the buyer first.

I've owned/trained hunting dogs for ten yrs which isn't the same I understand but is a start. I've also done a fair amount of research on the subject.. That's I was thinkin bout a broke so I could kinda learn as I go. There's some sheep dogs around I mite just try talkin to one of those guys.

What part do you want help with? Different dogs are for different things. If you want a dog that will just help you push cows around a heeler is born broke but if you need a dog to go out and gather them and bring them to you and really move cattle FOR you then you need spend a bunch of time training a border collie or kelpie.
You say your cows are kind of crazy. You might have to start with a really strong dog that's already broke to get them dog broke. If you take a pup and try to work them on cows that aren't dog broke you're going to ruin either the dogs or the cows or both and if it's a border collie it will most likely be the dog. You have to build up the dog's confidence and it takes a strong dog to go out and work cows that aren't dog broke the way you want them to.
You might check with some breeders in your area about started dogs on a budget. I have two really good dogs that came from a cousin of mine that will only sell or breed their very best. They both have minor issues but they're better than anything I would have made for myself and the cost was that I cut the dog and they didn't come with papers and no telling anyone where they came from.

I got a &1000.00 in a 2 month old red healer pup. If you are on facebook there is quite a few pages for stock dogs.

TT only a few people on here even talk about owning stock dogs. I don't recall anyone talking about breeding them. Once I get one working I am not selling.

Red Bull Breeder":1u6drdmp said:
I got a &1000.00 in a 2 month old red healer pup. If you are on facebook there is quite a few pages for stock dogs.

TT only a few people on here even talk about owning stock dogs. I don't recall anyone talking about breeding them. Once I get one working I am not selling.

Facebook is a very good suggestion.

Cross7 knows some breeders. He pm'd me their contact info last year during a dog related thread.

If you have ruff ground dogs are great. I'll take a bucket and leave the dogs at the house when we work cows.

**my cows ARENT crazy is what I meant but they aren't free stall dairy cows either. I'd like a dog to help bring cattle in and also i do must the work alone bc my gramp is gettin old and we only have 25 pair but it can be a real pain sometimes like tonite lol to get all the calves caught. But thanks for all the input I will keep searching.. Do collies typical not have the grit for workin rough cattle??

I have worked with guys who had every kind of dog heelers, collies, mutts, pits and a few others. I think it is how they are trained that makes all the difference. Best dog for herding I ever saw was a mutt he was tan and dark brown on the nose he could push cattle into a pen. Best catch dog was a pit seen him put bulls and cows on the ground, and hold them while you got a rope on them or tied their legs. That pit was something else great dog till he got caught by a fighting bull's horn that dog was still trying to go even with his guts hanging out.

highgrit":dqmtiw60 said:
If you have ruff ground dogs are great. I'll take a bucket and leave the dogs at the house when we work cows.

Bucket and a bell is all i work mine with.

Windy Meadow":2mdojaev said:
Do collies typical not have the grit for workin rough cattle??
The good ones do. I have one that will hang on one if he has to and he's registered border collie. He's as tough as my catahoulas are.

I have border collies and find them a vital part of my operation. Lynn Daniels of Atoka Oklahoma has great animals. Two things about cattle and dogs. The cows learn from the dogs and then they make the dog better. You will not "train" a border collie they are bred to do what they do and they love doing it. Your job is to learn to control they movement. It takes patience and a couple years before you have a great dog. Good luck!

George Monk":2fvzfszk said:
I have border collies and find them a vital part of my operation. Lynn Daniels of Atoka Oklahoma has great animals. Two things about cattle and dogs. The cows learn from the dogs and then they make the dog better. You will not "train" a border collie they are bred to do what they do and they love doing it. Your job is to learn to control they movement. It takes patience and a couple years before you have a great dog. Good luck!

Definitely agree that it takes years for even the best dogs to really get a knack for cattle work. Usually right when they learn enough to be great cattle dogs they get run over by a car..

Latest posts