Working bulls ie no grain, grass raised

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

A cross section of Aussie working bulls.
Just random shots for the most part, where I haven't tried to have the bulls standing ideally. A fair number are taken from the bike!
Pics of cows, heifers, steers and calves will follow when I get time to upload them.
Please don't reproduce these photos without my consent.
Thanks.

Rising two-year-olds
100_0745.jpg

100_0744.jpg

100_0798.jpg

Belmore_013.jpg

Belmore_011.jpg

Belmore_022.jpg

P5060784.jpg

BullsJan08_014.jpg

P1110541.JPG

P1110551.JPG

PC120508.jpg

Sires

Belmore_019.jpg

v12.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

X61.jpg

jackaroo_z109.JPG

Some group shots

PB220412.JPG

PB220422.JPG

100_0351.JPG

100_0355.JPG

The two year olds averaged A$6450. All are commercial bulls.
One went to an abbatoir and butcher owner who produces his own products, who has bought several bulls from us before and loves the way their progeny perform.
Another went to a large station operation, a regular client, who also wanted to breed a few of his own commercial bulls.
One went to a stud, and has done an outstanding job.
And three went to the same place, another regular client. But in saying reqular, if he doesn't like it he won't buy it just coz of the breeder. He will buy any bull if it suits him.
The other bulls went to a selection of commercial clients producing steers for feedlots and replacement females.
And the one that made the most was a paddock sale, not auction.

REAL cattle, performing in the REAL world.

Killala":az0bmw3i said:
The two year olds averaged A$6450. All are commercial bulls.
One went to an abbatoir and butcher owner who produces his own products, who has bought several bulls from us before and loves the way their progeny perform.
Another went to a large station operation, a regular client, who also wanted to breed a few of his own commercial bulls.
One went to a stud, and has done an outstanding job.
And three went to the same place, another regular client. But in saying reqular, if he doesn't like it he won't buy it just coz of the breeder. He will buy any bull if it suits him.
The other bulls went to a selection of commercial clients producing steers for feedlots and replacement females.
And the one that made the most was a paddock sale, not auction.

REAL cattle, performing in the REAL world.

Thank you, and if I might add what a nice change of pace.

BTW I am curious which one did bring the best money and which is your favorite.

aussie_cowgirl":35dya6ob said:
Killala":35dya6ob said:
This is my favourite. Who is he and what's he out of and by?

Thick little fella isn't he?

His sire is pictured in this post too. He's by Belmore Fuel Injected V12 out of a Washington cow.

EBVs
BW +4.2
200d +36
400d +45
600d +51
CWT +39
EMA +2.8
Rib -0.1
Rump +1.2
RBY +0.1
IMF +0.9

Killala":18ku57qa said:
aussie_cowgirl":18ku57qa said:
Killala":18ku57qa said:
This is my favourite. Who is he and what's he out of and by?

Thick little fella isn't he?

His sire is pictured in this post too. He's by Belmore Fuel Injected V12 out of a Washington cow.

EBVs
BW +4.2
200d +36
400d +45
600d +51
CWT +39
EMA +2.8
Rib -0.1
Rump +1.2
RBY +0.1
IMF +0.9

Haha, you just did my work for me. He's very nice.

3waycross":2bzj5eh4 said:
Thank you, and if I might add what a nice change of pace.

BTW I am curious which one did bring the best money and which is your favorite.

Lol, well I think everyone can have a go at guessing which brought the most money. I'm quite proud coz I sold him :D

To be honest, I find it quite hard to pick a favourite because there are a few different types of bulls here, which would suit a variety of markets and operations. Several of them I absolutely adore for various reasons. And I do have an advantage having had a lot of time to study them in the flesh. I know a couple of these photos really don't do the bulls justice at all but it's all I could find of them. If I took photos of all the bulls I've worked that have been 'favourites' I'd have no memory on my computer left!

IMO, most of these bulls are early to medium maturity types, which is what I personally like. They have that lovely roundness and balance, are soft, srtucturally sound, good shouldered and lovely muscle expression. They have the ability to adapt to a range of environments. We've sold these bulls from one end of the country to the other- you name it, we've probably sold a bull there or near there.

I have a pic of a lovely white bull we sold to Alice Springs- I just love the carcase on him- but I won't post it because he's got a halter on and I'm likely to get stick for it.

All I'm trying to get at here is that yes, we show cattle, and we show good ones. And these cattle don't always win in the ring, but they sure as he!! win in the paddock. We don't breed for the show ring, we breed for our clients and the producers. The show ring is a place for us to showcase our breeding program and what we are aiming to achieve, and that is how we use it. We don't select cattle to show based on what the judge might be after?what the trend is/what people want to see. We show good, honest cattle that are going to go home and get the job done for you.

We also have a lot of very good bulls that don't get shown. Does that make them any worse/better than the ones that do? No, it doesn't. More often than not we've come home from a show, gone out in the bull paddock, and wondered why we didn't show this bull or that one. the same goes for heifers.

The show ring is a place for us to showcase our breeding program and what we are aiming to achieve

I think this is the fundamental difference between our shows and the ones in the US. We actually lose money going to a show. :lol:

aussie_cowgirl":i54ewv7d said:
The show ring is a place for us to showcase our breeding program and what we are aiming to achieve

I think this is the fundamental difference between our shows and the ones in the US. We actually lose money going to a show. :lol:

That's right. That's what I've been trying to get at. But we'll save this discussion for another thread I think!!

Let's just admire the bulls- anyone want to take a guess on which 2-year-old made the most money?

Or just tell us what you like and why.

Killala":2ernqw8c said:
Let's just admire the bulls- anyone want to take a guess on which 2-year-old made the most money?

I'm gonna guess #1 as the top priced bull

100_0745.jpg

And I think #6 might be pretty close to him as well

Belmore_022.jpg

I would have said #5 except that from my experience the smokey roans dont sell as well. most people want a predominantly red bull. at least here anyway

Belmore_011.jpg

I love your cattle...They look to be the best of the best....Looks like someone has done a great job of breeding ....

cmf1":2i1xa4m2 said:
I really like the roan # 5.

But I think if I had to pick just one, from the pix, I'd go with this guy.

PC120508.jpg
Yup. I really like this guy as well.

Latest posts