Working at the Stockyards LOTS of PICS

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Yesterday we had a 2500 head presorted yearling sale. Prices were really good finally. Anyways, here are some pictures of my day.

First off a view of the Mural from the street
tn_DSC07575.jpg

And a view of the East side from the cat walk
tn_DSC07577.jpg

These pens are usually full overnight, but due to the mud situations the cattle were moved to somewhat cleaner pens (as much as possible)
tn_DSC07578.jpg

Bringing a bunch up to the sale barn, these ones are a graded bunch, and will be sorted before going through the ring. There are about 4 different cuts here.
tn_DSC07579.jpg

Same bunch, waiting at the barn, they will go through the gate on the side and be sorted over there. The cuts are Herefords, Black and Black Baldies, Red and Red baldies and I think one single grey one.
tn_DSC07582.jpg

A close up of the same bunch
tn_DSC07588.jpg

Some black and black baldies that were just sold and are coming out of the barn to be penned again.
tn_DSC07583.jpg

Reds that have been sold and are leaving the barn
tn_DSC07591.jpg

The Mural
tn_DSC07593.jpg

Cattle leaving the barn, a Weigh Back and some workers. The horse and rider follow the cattle down the alley to their 'new' pen after they are sold, with the paper saying what pen they are to go to and who bought the animals.
tn_DSC07594.jpg

The tail end of the black group leaving the barn. You can see the riders on the north side, they are bringing some large one owner groups around from that side to be run through the ring. The cattle in the middle pens have already been sold.
tn_DSC07584.jpg

Some sold cattle
tn_DSC07587.jpg

A group of red steers waiting their turn. My horse and the partners horse.
tn_DSC07595.jpg

Going in for another pen, it sure is mucky. 2 cuts in this pen.
tn_DSC07596.jpg

Some white and black steers
tn_DSC07597.jpg

A one owner group in the barn, they will go through shortly. Notice the red ones coming in from behind.
tn_DSC07598.jpg

Some red Limos that have been sorted, and are going into the barn.
tn_DSC07600.jpg

A bunch being sorted, herefords from the blacks
tn_DSC07606.jpg

tn_DSC07607.jpg

Fixing a mix up, these ones were NOT quiet and easy to sort.
tn_DSC07611.jpg

Bringin a bunch out of their pen, I sure am glad I had a horse....
tn_DSC07613.jpg

Taking a bigger bunch up the easier way, that catwalk is our nemisis, the cattle hate going under it, especially if there are people on it....
tn_DSC07614.jpg

The last bunch waiting their turn.
tn_DSC07615.jpg

tn_DSC07616.jpg

Some pretty nice Char heifers, in the 750 lb range
tn_DSC07618.jpg

The sale ring, I don't get in here very often, usually too busy working.
tn_DSC07619.jpg

Most bunches are sorted on color. But these were pretty little, so they just sorted them all together.
tn_DSC07621.jpg

What were heifer prices like? I held on to all of my commercials last year because the prices were horrible but now I am running out of hay and there is no way I can keep them and calve them out next year,,way to many cows.. So I am hoping to get rid of them soon..

Interesting to see how sale barns differ in other areas, where I am from in Central Texas all the holding pens are covered and the sale barn ring is heated in winter and air conditioned in summer.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. It good to see how other parts of the country handle livestock.
Around here most of the holding pens are covered at the sale barns, some have cat walks , some don't.

kerley":3gx1sc85 said:
Great photos. Looks like it was cold and wet.
Tom.

Well, for us, it wasn't too cold right around freezing. That isn't terrible for this time of the year, especially with the way the year has been. Wet though, but it is hard to complain about that.

hillsdown":10rmx8yq said:
What were heifer prices like? I held on to all of my commercials last year because the prices were horrible but now I am running out of hay and there is no way I can keep them and calve them out next year,,way to many cows.. So I am hoping to get rid of them soon..

Prices are pretty good, well, quite a bit better than last fall anyways. Here are a few highlights

718 lb Blk hfrs 1.1275
764 lb Bbrf hfrs 1.08
680 lb Blk Hfrs 1.12
792 tan Hfrs .97 (I think these are the ones in the photo)
728 BBrf Hfrs 1.0625
730 lb Blk Hfrs 1.10
833 lb Tan hfrs .94

So mostly $750-$800

There really weren't any red heifers of this weight at the sale. We bought 3 Red baldy heifers, 693 lbs at 1.00 but that was about it for red or red baldies in that weight range.

Cowboy and Curtis, it is interesting to see how things are done in different areas. There are a few sale barns around that have covered pens, and cat walks, but most are open and you have to walk on the ground. On the other hand, if you want, you can go in the pens with the cattle. The sale ring is heated for the winter, but not air conditioned.

The catwalks over here have been closed....don't want the peta folks taking pics of some cow that slipped rounding the corner.
Where are the trees?
Dave Mc

Susie David":3du1ujgw said:
The catwalks over here have been closed....don't want the peta folks taking pics of some cow that slipped rounding the corner.
Where are the trees?
Dave Mc

Yeah, that is a slight concern here, but we are so far from the main stream here, we are pretty safe yet.

Trees?? :lol: What are trees, never heard of such things before :lol: :lol:

kenny thomas":1enxuv94 said:
Are the prices you quote in Canadian or US dollars. If it is US that is a great price.

Canadian money. But it is still so much better than we have been getting that most of us are quite happy.

Ala, most of it is more slop than stick. But you're right would be easy to injure a horse. Most of the work is at a walk, especially in these sloppy, sticky pens. The biggest problem we have is stone bruises, it's a gravel base in there (and not nice gravel) and when it gets wet like this it is horrible. In the fall we shoe all our horses, but for 4 sales in the spring, we usually don't. Hard to justify a $100 shoeing bill for $40 worth of work (for the horse).

thanks for posting pics of you working at the sale barn.lovesd looking at the way the sale barn an pens are set up there.

TexasBred":2uxntnr5 said:
No back tags on any of the cattle???

Only on a few singles that have something wrong with them.

The rest are graded (sorted by weight, sex color and/or breed) into bigger groups. There can be anywhere from 2 to many owners in a group, depending on how big the group is. Almost all cattle in this country are branded, so if there is a problem they can figure out the owner by the brand.

what?":v6yytmca said:
randiliana":v6yytmca said:
Almost all cattle in this country are branded, so if there is a problem they can figure out the owner by the brand.
in the past i've bought bulls to feed out. try bringing a load of those back to resell without branding papers a person won't get real far. hoping you brought the right 25 for the load your hauling

Also it is mandatory that every animal has a RFID tag. Since BSE Canada now has one of the best trace back systems around..

Great pics Randi . I just got wireless high speed today so was able to finally look at them all.

Latest posts