Worked the Garden Today

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Finally got it all cleaned out and worked. The asparagus is coming up and so are the weeds. Next will be adding a bunch of manure to it and then in about 2 weeks I should be able to plant :banana:

On the bright side, my tomatoes are getting big, and the peppers are all up. They will be ready to go in when the weather warms up nicely.

randiliana":1m0xfj4u said:
Finally got it all cleaned out and worked. The asparagus is coming up and so are the weeds. Next will be adding a bunch of manure to it and then in about 2 weeks I should be able to plant :banana:

On the bright side, my tomatoes are getting big, and the peppers are all up. They will be ready to go in when the weather warms up nicely.

Randiliana, if plant as high up there as here this year you will have made a big saving by growing your own. Plants here are about 3 to 4 time higher this year. Tomato plants started at 3.85 and up. Bought cucumber seed got 13 seeds for 1.19. There is no place to buy bulk seed locally. Good luck with your garden.

I wish I could grow asparagus down here, but I've heard it doesn't do well this far South.

Fred":12pllxnx said:
I wish I could grow asparagus down here, but I've heard it doesn't do well this far South.

That's what they told me too but I've had a bed of them for 10 years. I'm sure they do not do as well as they do up north but you can grow them. I started growing them after a friend of mine did an experiment with asparagus seed. He broadcasted some seed over a 3 acre plot of land and they came up. Weeds took them over. Mowed the weeds and repeated this for a couple of years but the weeds kept hiding the asparagus. Took a few truck loads of sawdust and covered the plot with it. Next spring only thing that grew through the sawdust was asparagus. Quite a sight. This is how my bed is setup as well. It has been neglected and I really need to start over or convert to strawberries.

hillrancher":35ixzp31 said:
Randiliana, if plant as high up there as here this year you will have made a big saving by growing your own. Plants here are about 3 to 4 time higher this year. Tomato plants started at 3.85 and up. Bought cucumber seed got 13 seeds for 1.19. There is no place to buy bulk seed locally. Good luck with your garden.

I don't know what they are worth this year, plants are just starting to be available around here. Our last frost date is about May 20 here.

Last year tomatoes were about $2 for 6 I think. The biggest reason I start my own is cause I like having different tomatoes and heritage ones too. I will have orange, yellow, pink and white ones this year, I think. Other than a few flowers for pots, I grow everything from seed.

Fred":1m3bd994 said:
Thanks for the info, Jogee. I'd like to try a few plants.

Don't know if will make any difference or not but I used the Martha or Mary or something Washington variety.

Our garden is winding down a bit for winter. Planting bulbs in the next couple of weeks. Roses are about to have their last flush before the cold weather comes. Garden is finally picking up after a severe hailstorm about two months ago. It actually pruned the roses and they have shot up a lot since.
Colin

Latest posts