Words, then and now

Help Support CattleToday:

fellersbarnoneranch

Reaction score
I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS". A term I
haven't heard in a long time and thinking about "fender skirts" started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice.

Like "curb feelers" and "steering knobs." Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first. Any kids will probably have to find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember "Continental kits?" They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental. When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?" At some point "parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the "foot feed."

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the "running board" up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore - "store-bought." Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.

"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term "world wide" for granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I came across the other day - "rat fink." Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss - "percolator." That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with? "Coffeemaker." How dull. Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "Electrolux." Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with "SpectraVision!"

Food for thought - Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening their kids with castor oil anymore.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most "supper." Now everybody says "dinner." Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.

Someone forwarded this to me. I thought some of us of a "certain age" would remember most of these.

Just for fun, Pass it along to others of "a certain age"

Never heard the term "steering knob" I'm assuming that's what was commonly called "neckers knobs"

dun

I've never heard of "neckers knobs", but like "percolator." it just fun to say. Am going to work it into the conversation with
the girls at the feed store this morning and see what happens. :lol:

I enjoy the farm terms. The Mrs. is NOT from farm country. The "dead furrow" in the field she calls the "dead barrel". When you "strike a land" combining, she says you "laid a land line". And when people call the house and I am out in the field, the best she can do is "he's in the field in the red tractor, pulling a digger thingy". Neighbor asked her last year what kind of beans we planted (Pioneer, dekalb,etc.), she says, very serious like "soy, like always". Dragging the pasture is "sod busting" to her. I let her say it how she likes as long as she doesnt get stuck in the dead barrel while she is layin a land line to get the soy beans out so she can go drive the red tractor and drag the digger thingy for me.

There was no such thing as butt-floss underwear, thongs were flip-flop shoes that would get you half killed in a race or a game of freeze tag!

"foot feed."
Oh, that makes sense! I've always thought it was "foot feet". How about "dash board" or "glove compartment".

You'd get taken to jail these days for it, but when I was little I remember riding, laying up on the ledge under the window in the back seat. Don't remember what it was called but it was fun riding there. Don't even know if cars still have those, haven't actually been in a car in many, many years. I've always owned pickups and now everyone has SUV's.

Ahh, the good old days. I sure miss them. Almost wish I was 5 or 6 again!

Well, glad to see fellers back in the game these days! Welcome Back!

well A6gal...I would not ever want to be 5 or 6 again..... seems i remember my father laying his belt against my butt rather often at that age.........something else we rarely see as well, ....real punishment......these days you are abusing your child if you punish them physically.... wish they told my pop that when I was growing up..........but I have never been in touble as an adult, or been known to sit and watch TV for endless hours instead of working....like God intended...guess Pop wasn't so bad after all.

As far as dinner and supper , we still have dinner, thats lunch to the yankees, and then supper is in the evening at some point in time........unless we are going out to eat... then it's supper out, or dinner out.... when we order a hot dog or a burger.. we say 'all the way', instead of listing all the possible ingredients that one can place on it.

Also remember my cousins bragging on the fact that they got a color tv,(we never had, nor do we still have one) when we visited them, they had actually gotten a flexible plastic sheet that fit on the screen with the color green on the bottom, and blue on the top.....kinda clear in the middle.... I guess the inventors figured there would be lots of tv shows with outdoor scenes, ie: grass and sky.

Our very first dairy in our family was a class C and we only had five cows... the milk man would often not bother to pick up the cans for a week at a time...we always got paid the same anyway. Our second dairy was a pipeline affair, with up to 80 cows, and a refrigerated bulk tank.
our last dairy was more ike a factory, milking over 900 head, 3 times a day, with two bulk tanks and a tanker truck sitting outside getting the overflow ....it is now a housing development......things change.... :cboy:

Zenith tv's had Chromacolor. How about 3 on the tree.

when we order a hot dog or a burger.. we say 'all the way', instead of listing all the possible ingredients that one can place on it.

We say "through the garden" here for a fully dressed burger :)

HatCreekFan":2ee4l96r said:
when we order a hot dog or a burger.. we say 'all the way', instead of listing all the possible ingredients that one can place on it.

I used to say "drag it through the garden" now you get that blank look like your from another planet.

dun

Actually, it can be shortened to just 'through'. As in "I'd like a cheeseburger through, tater tots, and a large vanilla coke"

Which is what I had for lunch yesterday. :)

dun":1xvb5ygi said:
HatCreekFan":1xvb5ygi said:

I used to say "drag it through the garden" now you get that blank look like your from another planet.

dun
Complete with "Gas House" tomatoes. :lol:

It used to be the swimming pool. Now it's the aquatic center.

What happened to 8-tracks and Lp's or for that matter record players? Wife still has the first stereo she bought. Had a record player, dual cassette decks, an 8-track player and two extension speakers.

Speaking of dinner and supper. Growing up dinner was the noon meal and supper the evening one. Lunch was something you had at school or on the job. Married my wife and I would ask her what we were having for supper and I would continually get the blank stare and have to tell her "what you call dinner". :roll:

And for her instead of dropping something/one off somewhere you "stop" them off. :?:

I kind of like that "through the garden" bit around here there's not that kind of excitement.... it's still a burger with everything or it's loaded. Now someone might be able to have some fun with that "loaded" bit.

Since when did chicken manure become litter?

madbeancounter1":3l5fn14z said:
It used to be the swimming pool. Now it's the aquatic center.

What happened to 8-tracks and Lp's or for that matter record players? Wife still has the first stereo she bought. Had a record player, dual cassette decks, an 8-track player and two extension speakers.

Speaking of dinner and supper. Growing up dinner was the noon meal and supper the evening one. Lunch was something you had at school or on the job. Married my wife and I would ask her what we were having for supper and I would continually get the blank stare and have to tell her "what you call dinner". :roll:

And for her instead of dropping something/one off somewhere you "stop" them off. :?:

I kind of like that "through the garden" bit around here there's not that kind of excitement.... it's still a burger with everything or it's loaded. Now someone might be able to have some fun with that "loaded" bit.

Since when did chicken manure become litter?

i still have a record player and it has an 8 track player with am/fm radio. need a new needle for the player though. i even have records. can't find my (read parents) 8 tracks though. they disappeared when we cleaned the garage.

Yeah...Neckin Knobs...thats what I had on my trucks, along with spot lights and baby moon hub caps. Of course we went to the ice box and perked the coffee. Still remember the family ring and won't drink skim milk to this day (the dairy would drop off a barrel of wey when they picked up the milk).
Never learned to type, cool guys took shop and didn't wear bibs to school though we all wore them at home and where you wouldn't be seen by a girl, had to wear pressed jeans and your new hat for that.
Seem to be spending more time lately talking about how good we used to be...do like the song about being not be as good as I once was but as good once as I ever was. Susie says that ambling on is a sign of senility, I call it modern maturity. Any way lunch is ready....Dave Mc