Woolly Worms

Help Support CattleToday:

Something I don't understand….the cooler than normal Summer we are having is kicking my buttt worse than the hotter than helll ones of the past.
You got that right Vette!
Kenny maybe it was bad weather, hope their not predicting a hurricane.
Last one we had on Sept 24th was Rita, the most intense hurricane ever in the gulf.

Saw quite a few woolly worms this morning.
If the old wife's tale holds true we will have frost in 8 weeks.
That's might early for this part of the world.

We're having army worms already up our way.... this is the earliest anyone can remember seeing those little monsters around here.

I don't want to see any wooly worms yet, or those yellow and black spiders garden spiders that you see in big webs in the fall. Unfortunately, I've been seeing some golden rod starting to grow and ain't a bit happy about that. Around here those 3 three things are signs of fall. The saying here is that it's 6 weeks till frost when golden rod is in bloom. Looks to be a lot of walnuts too.
Too early for all that crap, I HATE winter.

Something I don't understand….the cooler than normal Summer we are having is kicking my buttt worse than the hotter than helll ones of the past.
I attribute it to the humidity. The temp may be cooler but I am much less tolerant of damp heat than dry heat. I've been replacing a metal roof for the last four weekends so I just made my peace with being miserable

Ky, it was 102°F real temp on my front porch yesterday around 5pm and in the 'feels like' low 90s early this morning. I wouldn't mind a little cool spell....

Ky, it was 102°F real temp on my front porch yesterday around 5pm and in the 'feels like' low 90s early this morning. I wouldn't mind a little cool spell....
I understand what you mean. It was 91 here today and the heat index is still currently 90. I just don't like the winter cold rains and months of mud with an occasional snow.

Had one of those big yellow and black spiders make a web the other day that I had to take down because it was right where I get into my storage box for the milk testing meters. Saw a couple wooly worms the other day... but usually see a bunch crossing the road on a nice bright sunny day... and we are supposed to have some real nice days this week. Will see what shows up. Had a lot of black ones last year and weather was not really that bad. It was down to 53 the last 2 mornings, but supposed to get back up into the 90's this week.
Cutting some hay since we got some rain and have had some growth. Won't be the best hay, but we have no small sq bales, so we have to try to get some in.

I haven't seen any wooley worms here but something my sister and I both noticed at both of our places. No squirrels. Haven't been all summer either and this place is usually over run with them.

One of my neighbors told me when the wasps start huddling up off their nests in Aug and Sept, it's a sign of an early winter too.

All our wooly worms are solid black, been seeing them for two weeks.

Also seen a banana spider (that's what we called them as kids) a couple weeks ago. It was small, not one of those that nearly cover your hand.
I think their really an orb weaver.

Latest posts