Woods Fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

talldog

Reaction score
Planning on using perimeter trees to barbwire in about 30 acres. My question, I will be turning out 4-6 Longhorn cows, how many strands do I need ??

you need 4 or 5 strands of barbed wire to keep them in.an make sure you get the wire fairly tight.loose wire is no good.

If you Longhorns are very tame and there is no bull on the other side of the fence, 4 or 5 barb wire may work. However, I don't recommend it. They like to "test" wires and/or play with stuff with their horns. Longhorns also can jump...not like the obese black cattle...lol.

On our perimeter fencing we use 8 strands of barb wire, 5.5' high. Interior fences, 7 strands. Don't have to worry about calves escaping through lower wires. Wires need to be very tight.

Too old to chase cattle of any breed. Great fencing is nice insurance. Yes, we overkill on fencing at RAF. But...we sleep very well at night...

:D

Too old to chase cattle of any breed. Great fencing is nice insurance. Yes, we overkill on fencing at RAF. But...we sleep very well at night...
That's why we use electric Hi-Tensile. Cheapest & least maintenance. Biggest expense is the corner assembly, but if you are putting 7 strand TIGHT barb wire - you also need super good corner assembly.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":26wrx4y8 said:
If you staple directly to the trees, be prepared to pull the staples every couple of years, or the tree will grow over the wire.

If you must use the trees,you can nail a 2x4 to the tree first.

EAT BEEF":1iexoxos said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1iexoxos said:
If you staple directly to the trees, be prepared to pull the staples every couple of years, or the tree will grow over the wire.

If you must use the trees,you can nail a 2x4 to the tree first.

That would be my recommendation. Trees will grow around thw wires and eventually the wire will rust through and break right at the tree. I've been fixing a lot of that lately

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1k63ha8l said:
That's why we use electric Hi-Tensile. Cheapest & least maintenance. Biggest expense is the corner assembly, but if you are putting 7 strand TIGHT barb wire - you also need super good corner assembly.

Our corner units are 2-3/8" welded pipe with 2 posts in each direction with 2 cross braces, and a stinger at end at each direction. Posts are 10' apart and set 3 feet deep in concrete (same design for a terminal end run with a gate. We use 14 gage heavy duty bull gates.] Our wire is so tight you can play a tune on the wires...lol. Have an excellent fence guy & crew that knows how to do it right!

Running Arrow Bill":1hvy9sfk said:
longhorns also can jump...not like the obese black cattle...lol.

I've got one of those "obese black cattle" that needs to enter the olympic hi-jump competition. That #%@#$@! obese black cow can jump a 5 foot fence from flat-foot better than a deer.

She's got a set of wheels going under her this weekend. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Latest posts