wooden tongue

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

in the last two years I have had a few animals come down with 'wooden tongue'. The animals were in the same paddock when they got sick and both had to be destroyed. my friend said that it is caused by a bacteria in the ground and that you can never get it out of that paddock. Is this true? What are the causes of wooden tongue? What methods of treatment do you find the best?

http://cattletoday.info/wooden_tongue.htm

Frankly, I would wonder at any animal being euth'd for this disease, since it is quite treatable. They must have been really advanced...
The bacteria is found in the mouth NATURALLY and gains access to the tongue from abrasions and penetrating feed. More info above.

Look online using google if necessary for further clarification.

I would wonder at any animal being euth'd for this disease, since it is quite treatable. They must have been really advanced...

the reason they were euthanaesed was because by the time my vet got out the animals were not able to pull their tongue back into their mouth, therefore they couldn't eat and had great difficulty drinking. They were treated with antibiotics and fluids, and they hung on for a while. It was scary how quickly they wasted away. In the end they just could not regain that weight and they needed a lot of long term care that I wasn't able to provide and in the end I had to make the hard decision that it just wasn't practical to keep them.

Latest posts