wooden feed trough?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I never really thought much about it before, but read elsewhere yesterday that PT wood shouldn't be used for cattle feed troughs due to the chemicals in the treatment process. I've used it for years, and as far as I know, never had any problems.. Any truth to this?

I've heard of that and sort of wondered. But I quit using wood years ago due to breakage, bolts pulling through etc.

greybeard":3mnwrctq said:
I never really thought much about it before, but read elsewhere yesterday that PT wood shouldn't be used for cattle feed troughs due to the chemicals in the treatment process. I've used it for years, and as far as I know, never had any problems.. Any truth to this?

I hope not, I've got 3 of these. Had them for 2 years now. Most people around my neck o woods use something similar. The 16' one where the main herd is 10+ years old.

It's probably 'straining at a gnat'.
Old CCA-treated lumber *might* have leached a small amount of arsenic, but I"d hazard a guess that it was not enough to cause a problem. The new stuff is less toxic.
I wouldn't throw a useful treated wooden trough away... but might not use any old stockpiled CCA-treated lumber to build one now.

HOWEVER!!! Anymore, the most common source of arsenic poisoning in cattle is from people burning old CCA-treated lumber and allowing cattle access to the burn pile. They will eat up those ashes like they're candy... and die.

i dont think it would hurt them but personally i wont buy that junk, do like they did in the old days and cut a tree off the farm and haul it to a guy with a sawmill and use that lumber! boycott that lowes garbage

Lucky_P":2a0wkkyo said:
Anymore, the most common source of arsenic poisoning in cattle is from people burning old CCA-treated lumber and allowing cattle access to the burn pile. They will eat up those ashes like they're candy... and die.

Would an ash pile from cross ties have a similar affect on cattle?

I would think not... but the crossties I grew up using were creosote treated... I presume that's still the norm, not treatment with CCA(chromated copper arsenate).
If creosote-treated, I'd see no likelihood of arsenic poisoning from consumption of the wood ashes.

Just built a mineral feeder for my heifer group b/c they will turn over a bought one just for the fun of it ! Pressure treated with a metal roof over it like a deer feeder. So far they haven't turned it over yet ! Lol

I had 5 wood troughs that I left behind when I moved. They were just a 16 foot 2x12 with a 2x6 fastened to the side. Each one had 2 old tires bolted together at each end for legs (17 inch tires work best). Holes drilled to allow rain water to drain out. Standard lumber is fairly cheap. Old tires from a tire store are free. I used them for 6 years. I could count the times one got knocked over on one hand. When they do you just tip them back. They still had plenty of life left in them. They are just so cheap to build it wasn't worth hauling them when I moved.

Dave":3rgjqtpi said:
I had 5 wood troughs that I left behind when I moved. They were just a 16 foot 2x12 with a 2x6 fastened to the side. Each one had 2 old tires bolted together at each end for legs (17 inch tires work best). Holes drilled to allow rain water to drain out. Standard lumber is fairly cheap. Old tires from a tire store are free. I used them for 6 years. I could count the times one got knocked over on one hand. When they do you just tip them back. They still had plenty of life left in them. They are just so cheap to build it wasn't worth hauling them when I moved.

I assume you mean something like this?

If so, I need to make about 20 and sell them for a little over whatever the lumber costs.. just to get rid of the old tires I have here..It's gonna cost me $7 each to get rid of them not counting what it costs in gas to haul them to the tire grinder place..

greybeard":13yf60u0 said:
Dave":13yf60u0 said:

If so, I need to make about 20 and sell them for a little over whatever the lumber costs.. just to get rid of the old tires I have here..It's gonna cost me $7 each to get rid of them not counting what it costs in gas to haul them to the tire grinder place..

We have an amnesty day here once a year, when you can just drop them off. I figured everybody did.

I copied Jed's troughs, I like them as well as anything I've ever used. Also, 3 barrels bolted together, with a bag and a half of concrete in each is a pretty nice mineral station. Cheap enough, I'd rather make some more, than keep moving mine from field to field.

That is a pain in the butt ain't it but since we have cubes here, it isn't a terribly big problem.
I have the same problem with mineral feeders tho. Not enough trees with good limbs to hang barrels from in some areas and too many in others.

greybeard":2mhbyhlc said:
Dave":2mhbyhlc said:

That is what they look like. I put the tires in about 3 feet from the end. They are pretty indestructible. I say 17 inch tires because it give you more room to reach in to bolt the trough to the tires.

Bigfoot":3ac46nkg said:
greybeard":3ac46nkg said:
Dave":3ac46nkg said:

We have an amnesty day here once a year, when you can just drop them off. I figured everybody did.

I copied Jed's troughs, I like them as well as anything I've ever used. Also, 3 barrels bolted together, with a bag and a half of concrete in each is a pretty nice mineral station. Cheap enough, I'd rather make some more, than keep moving mine from field to field.

Can you post a picture of the trough and the mineral feeder?

tripleBfarms":1p5qquzt said:
Bigfoot":1p5qquzt said:
greybeard":1p5qquzt said:

Can you post a picture of the trough and the mineral feeder?

Unfortunately, I have lost the ability to post a picture. Need to get my wife to sit down, and study over it, and get me back going.

I may be able to find a pic on the web, and post a link.

This guy complicated this beyond belief. You just lay them endto end, and bolt them together with 2 half inch diameter bolts. Think mine are an inch and a half long. Turn a barrel crossways on each end. Keeps them from flipping over. I like 4 in the middle, with one on each end. You can hoof several together, I pull 100' around with an atv quit often. Have been pulling them to the bin lately, and pulling them back to calves full. Cuts down on a lot of handeling buckets.

Can't find a mineral feeder pick like mine.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=09zu62Iq_ak

Latest posts