Wooden cattle chute?

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Cow

Reaction score
Hi there,

:help: Does anyone know where to get a hold of plans to build a wooden cattle chute? I'm picturing an old timey design with a V-shaped head catch and slated sides. We can't afford a steel one right now and had to leave our head gate behind when we moved here from VA. The trick is, I need one that is Dexter sized and can accommodate their horns. My husband is pretty handy and has all the 'man toys' necessary to build it. Also, any way it could be built to give access to hooves for trimming? Don't want to rope them and hold them on the ground if there is an easier way, but their hooves do need trimming. We'd like to get the chute done by late February as the calves are due in April and we'll need to vaccinate and trim before they calve.

:D You guys are awesome! I can work with those plans and size down a little to fit Dexters.

Might check around at farm equipment auctions.. I picked up really decent automatic steel headgate at the annual county farm bureau auction this past February for $110.. Woulda been about $500 new -- outta range of my budget.

If I were going to rig something for the interim, I think I would buy panels and drive a bunch of T-Posts. Get the 5 foot tall panels and tie braces across the top of the chute. Wood is expensive, semi-permanent and probably wouldn't last all that long. You could put a head gate on the end of a chute and build the casing out of wood. You could always mount the same head gate on steel later on.

Probably has a whole lot to do with how wild your cattle are.

Buy anything and everything used when possible. You get a whole lot more and better equipment for your nickels. That could mean waiting a few years to find it.

backhoeboogie":3ablb21y said:

I'd hate to see one of those dexters get out of hand, nobody's ankles would be safe. :lol:

cfpinz

cfpinz":7ezwcqfw said:
backhoeboogie":7ezwcqfw said:

I'd hate to see one of those dexters get out of hand, nobody's ankles would be safe. :lol:

cfpin
z

Are there legs really that short? ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

curtis":11mse2wg said:
cfpinz":11mse2wg said:
backhoeboogie":11mse2wg said:

cfpin
z

I thought that was a bit of an exageration. Shins maybe but not ankles

dun

cfpinz- you crack me up!! :lol: I have the normal leg variety, so I guess it would be the shins that are in danger!

My cows aren't too wild, but they hate being stuck with a needle as much as the next cow. There are some auctions in Georgia, but so far, hubby and I have been too busy to head that way. We're hoping we'll hear about them once we join the FL Cattlemen's Assoc.

dun":2aqb07zy said:
curtis":2aqb07zy said:
cfpinz":2aqb07zy said:
backhoeboogie":2aqb07zy said:

cfpin
z

I thought that was a bit of an exageration. Shins maybe but not ankles

dun

They can't be too bad if their feet are manicured. Wonder what color toe nail polish? :shock:

Latest posts