Wood ticks HELP

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a good way to get wood ticks off kids. Ticks have only recently shown up here.we usually use a match or cigerate to remove them ,but thats a bit much for a kid.Have tried vasaline ,but does,nt seem to work for us.

frenchie":1unsww7c said:
Does anyone here have a good way to get wood ticks off kids. Ticks have only recently shown up here.we usually use a match or cigerate to remove them ,but thats a bit much for a kid.Have tried vasaline ,but does,nt seem to work for us.

Get ahold of the tick with a pair of tweezers as clost to the skin a syou can and genly pull.
Or you can do I like I do and just grab it with my fingers and yank. The first method is prescribed by the medical community.

dun

Thanks Dun

Will try that with the tweezers.Have been a little nervous about yanking them off as some people claim you are in big trouble if the head don,t come.

Hope you had a great July 4th. :D

frenchie":2l533llz said:
Thanks Dun

Will try that with the tweezers.Have been a little nervous about yanking them off as some people claim you are in big trouble if the head don,t come.

Hope you had a great July 4th. :D

With the gradual pull in theory they let go and the head comes out with the body. In Theory!

dun

I always twisted in a clockwise or counterclockwise motion & they come out fine with head & body intact. Try getting chickens they will take care of them for you.
Ellie May

I use Selsun Blue shampoo to wash my dogs (Great Pyrenees). This seems to get any ticks on them moving around. (I use Frontiline on them, so only bath them at the end of the month prior to re-application). Anyway, you might try this shampoo on the ticks and see if it makes them detach. It also kills fleas on the dogs. Just an idea. We have no ticks or chiggers within a hundred yards of the house because of the Guineas and chickens....mostly the Guineas I think. But if we or the dogs go way out in the woods, we may get ticks.

Thanks

Wood ticks are fairly new to this area only showed up about 3 years ago. so don,t know really all that much about them.

I find that a swab of rubbing alcohol works. You need to repeatedly rub the bottom side and eventually they back out!

frenchie":173bq7da said:

Are you talking kids or children? If kids, use ivomec for a one time deal. Or for either try "dawn" dish soap to wash them with (will work with/for fleas too) If you don't have that brand in canada just pull them off with tweasers.

Mom would put two or three inches of water in a #3 wash tub and mix
in a couple of cap fulls of bleach. Use very little bleach, because to much
will blister. She would wash us kids down and you could see the ticks
floating in the mixature.
R.T.