Wood Stove Suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

Does neighbor have to go out in a below zero blizzard to put wood in his outside located heater?
It was -11 degrees solid ice 4 inches thick covered with foot and a half of snow with alot of snow coming down. They much difference in that and a blizzard ?

It was -11 degrees solid ice 4 inches thick covered with foot and a half of snow with alot of snow coming down. They much difference in that and a blizzard ?
Also cuts down on his electric and gas bill by using the hot water it circulates for bath tube and washing machine. I burned wood for a few winters and had rather use what the neighbor has. I used an old warm morning wood stove. Wonder I didn't burn my house down with it. I would be willing to bet his house insurance is cheaper with that unit he uses just because the stove itself is located outside the house. Don't have stove pipe or chimney going through the roof of the house. No chance of catching the house on fire like traditional wood stoves.

As far as having to go out in a blizzard. Just from looking at his unit. If it were mine I would build a wood shed over my wood pile next to the unit with a roof cover over the walk way to the house. If I was concerned about going out to load it. But I don't think you have to load it except once, maybe twice a day.

I know if i ever do use wood heat again it is something I will look into.

Gives you a reason to get away from the wife.
What do you have in your basements? We don't really have basements in houses here But I understand how a good fire down there would give a good general heat on the upper floors.
I'm very interested in how you heat your houses there, especially the likes of gcreek who is off the grid. I am off grid and only use a wood fire in my loungeroom which gives a good general heat through the house but our temperatures are pretty mild compared with what most of you get and a temp difference of 20C between inside and out is about the limit of what I achieve without having the fire roaring. We get into the minus 3 or 4 quite often, sometimes a bit lower but you guys go a lot lower than that. I like to be comfortable.

Ken

I have wondered about these wood burning stoves that heat water in the outside part of the unit where you load the wood into it. And then is circulated through I guess a radiator or somehow through the floor vents in the house.

My neighbor burns alot of wood through his and says it's very efficient. Talked with a couple others who say the same thing. You don't have to carry the wood inside your house. I could see alot of advantages to it over other wood burning stoves.
A good friend and client of mine were discussing this just last week. He sold his house and is going to build a new one. He is a builder and HVAC guy. He is going to go with one of the radiant floor systems. The pipes (actually it is PEX) are interwoven in a close-knit pattern, then they are covered in concrete so that once it gets heated up, it will stay warm for a long time. He said that the latter can be a problem in Fall and Spring because once it heats up it stays hot for a long time.

A good friend and client of mine were discussing this just last week. He sold his house and is going to build a new one. He is a builder and HVAC guy. He is going to go with one of the radiant floor systems. The pipes (actually it is PEX) are interwoven in a close-knit pattern, then they are covered in concrete so that once it gets heated up, it will stay warm for a long time. He said that the latter can be a problem in Fall and Spring because once it heats up it stays hot for a long time.
I don't think this units plumbing is in the concrete of the floors. I did have the phone number of someone who sales them. I will try to talk to a guy that had one installed not long ago and get more information about it.

I don't think this units plumbing is in the concrete of the floors. I did have the phone number of someone who sales them. I will try to talk to a guy that had one installed not long ago and get more information about it.
I have seen them installed in concrete and they work good, keeps the floors warm as well as the house, I would use it if I had one. All the bugs, dirt, smoke, damage is outside and usually you can put longer and more wood in them.

Last edited:
I have seen them that are forced air. My contractor friend is going to use an instant heat gas water heater for his.

I've got a Hardy outdoor wood burner and it's great. You can put enough wood in the firebox for 12hrs if it's really good wood like Osage.