Wood Stove Suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I supplement the heat in our home with a wood stove in the basement. We have had a Derco Grizzly Stove for the past 27 years. It has been a good stove but it is time to replace it. The stove will need to heat a very large basement space and then the heat rises and really cuts down on our heating bills. I am looking at the Ashley 3000, the Drolet 3000 or the Voglezang plate steel that puts out 112,000 btu. I also don't want to break the bank, but I figure this will be the last stove I ever have to buy.

Does anyone have any recommendations or reviews of the above? (No pellet stoves because that defeats the purpose of me cutting my own wood)

We have a BlazeKing. We are real happy with it. We heat 1,900 square feet in two stories. We have a princess model. They do make bigger stoves. Last winter we went through 3 cords of wood and only used half the propane in our 500 gallon tank. One more cord of wood and we would have used a lot less propane.

Kuuma by Lamppa Mfg in Tower, MN are one of the best. Kinda pricey though so maybe not what you are looking for.

We have a Blaze King in the basement (King model) It really puts out, the catalytic converter makes a big difference. I wish the fire box was bigger though, but it's probably more than big enough for Tennessee.

Silly folks.....don't nobody watch tv?
Yall going to a lot of trouble and expense to do something you could do for ONLY, $298.88 in 4 easy payments of just $74.72 + shipping and handling.
AS SEEN ON TV!!

A Heat Surge Roll and Glow Amish (built?) Fireplace (Made in Ohio, USA)

amishheater.jpg

That's right folks, a fireless flame!! Call in the next 20 minutes and they'll throw in an extra for just a small additional handling fee.
(Actual size and color may vary)

actualsize.jpg

Silly folks.....don't nobody watch tv?
Yall going to a lot of trouble and expense to do something you could do for ONLY, $298.88 in 4 easy payments of just $74.72 + shipping and handling.
AS SEEN ON TV!!

A Heat Surge Roll and Glow Amish (built?) Fireplace (Made in Ohio, USA)

View attachment 6748

That's right folks, a fireless flame!! Call in the next 20 minutes and they'll throw in an extra for just a small additional handling fee.
(Actual size and color may vary)

View attachment 6749
I am sold, ordering now.........

Here are some Bob Vila suggest:

I use to drag in and split about 10 cord a year for myself and parents. That got old as I don't have a basement, I live on a lime stone rock pile. Between the smoke in the house, (had to repaint) burning up the rug (new flooring), bugs all over the house, dropping it on the floor, mashing my fingers, having to turn the AC on when it warmed up in the day from the wood still burning, you name it that propane sure is nice. I have a Warm Morning wood/coal burner that is still in useable shape.

For a basement I like something on this line, but it is a little pricey IMO. You probably could hook it in the AC ductwork and it would flow all over the house as you may have a setup like that. The wife's brother has one similar to this in his basement and with the large fan it heats the whole house if you keep it fed. I think this is like some of the ones you are looking at. THis would be a nice investment and add value.

Last edited:
I have wondered about these wood burning stoves that heat water in the outside part of the unit where you load the wood into it. And then is circulated through I guess a radiator or somehow through the floor vents in the house.

My neighbor burns alot of wood through his and says it's very efficient. Talked with a couple others who say the same thing. You don't have to carry the wood inside your house. I could see alot of advantages to it over other wood burning stoves.

Latest posts